Cantilever brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chirk2000ad

Does anyone have any recommendations for cantilever brakes? The cantis on my touring bike are approx 20 years old and have seen better days. Plus they are upswept shimano style that were never really suited to drop bar brake levers.
I just wondered if anyone has tried the avid shorties (4 or 6), tektro oryx or tektro cr520 amongst others that are out there.

cheers

Forget the Oryx, just go for the Tektro cr520 (or 720) - have both on two of my bikes - great with Kool Stop pads. From Zepnat or Dotbike.

The Tektro's have a centreing adjuster screw on each leg, which I believe is missing on the Frogslegs. Apart from that, I doubt there's much in it.

Edit; the Tektro's take standard V brakes, I believe the Frogs don't, taking pads with posts. There is still a wide range available however.

Alun

Guru
+1 for the Kore cantis, I got mine from Zepnat. They came with road style pads, still adjustable for toe in though.

Bokonon

Über Member
I found the Oryx on my touring bike very prone to judder, though this may have been exacerbated by the long distance between the hanger and the saddle wire. I replaced it with a Shorty 4 which gives much more assured breaking.

ed!

Apologies for hijacking - are V-Brake pad inserts compatible with cantilever brakes (I've got bog standard Condor cantilever brakes where the pads slide out)?

Ta muchly.

Top Bottom