Cantis to V-Brakes fitting issue!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Changing my wife's old Crom-Mo framed rigid mtb from cantis to v-brakes. When fitting the v-brakes I screwed on the new brakes onto the fork fittings but even though the bolts are secure, there is a little play. It's difficult to explain but if you hold the top of the brake arm, you can move it forward/back a fraction (maybe 1mm or so). The arms are fully engaged and straight onto the fork fittings and bolts tight. Not sure if it's the fork fittings maybe being a touch too long or something else. It's the same for the back brakes too. Anyone helps pls :wahhey:

lukesdad

Do you mean the pins by fork fittings Are they not seating properly Could be diameter problem some of them are stepped.

yashicamat

Have you held the old cantis next to the new v brakes to see if the mounting hole is the same length?

If that is the case, IIRC there is a central bushing on the brake where it slides onto the post, this bit is what the bolt actually binds against and holds tight, then there is a plain bearing around this bushing and then the brake calliper itself. If the issue is length, you may be able to find a small washer (I'd suggest stainless steel) to fit the gap, but make sure it only rests on the inner bushing otherwise it could impede the action of the brakes.

OP
OP
kfinlay

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
put the old cantis back on and found they are just the same so reckon it is correctly fitted. I'll also be in the lbs in the next day or so, so can double check with them too.
The only trouble now is the back brakes cable routing as there is no way to fit a second bit of outer as the frame does not have a suitable outer-stop (just a little tube next to the seat post clamp. At worsed would need to run outer all the way from lever to noodle but I'm sure there must be a better solution.

OP
OP
kfinlay

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Thats the sort of thing I need but £15 is a bit expensive for what it is so will checkout how a full outer looks first - it's not my bike afteral and I'm sure she won't mind so long as it's tidy otherwise.

02GF74

Über Member
re: 1st prob; without seeing it (long time since I fitted mine) can't say for sure but you may find that filing the canti boss (the tube the bolts screw into), say .5 mm may help - the bolt should clamp against a bush as said.

re: 2nd prob; had this on my saracen - it had the brake cable noodle attached to frame - I sawed off the rear part of it and drilled it out to accept a cable stop. you may have the same arrangent.

re: full length cable - not sure this is a top idea as the cable outer does compress; running such a long length you may find the rear brake to be quite spongey.

having said that, many old road bikes used that kind of arrangment and may have had the same problem and we were happy back then.

02GF74

Über Member
re: 1st prob; without seeing it (long time since I fitted mine) can't say for sure but you may find that filing the canti boss (the tube the bolts screw into), say .5 mm may help - the bolt should clamp against a bush as said.

re: 2nd prob; had this on my saracen - it had the brake cable noodle attached to frame - I sawed off the rear part of it and drilled it out to accept a cable stop. you may have the same arrangent.

re: full length cable - not sure this is a top idea as the cable outer does compress; running such a long length you may find the rear brake to be quite spongey.

having said that, many old road bikes used that kind of arrangment and may have had the same problem and we were happy back then.

Rhythm Thief

Veteran
I wouldn't worry about it. All my bikes have a little play in the brakes and it's never been an issue on the road.

Rhythm Thief

Veteran
I wouldn't worry about it. All my bikes have a little play in the brakes and it's never been an issue on the road.

Top Bottom