Canyon Bikes issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
That's one part of online shopping I don't really get. You can't test or try on the goods whatever they are, but you have to pay postage if it is wrong. But you have no choice in the way you buy it.
It seems to me that the supplier should be liable for all costs until you're completely happy considering you have to effectively buy blind.
Maybe it's just me....
Those pesky German consumers. So well informed. So good at making informed decisions.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Those pesky German consumers. So well informed. So good at making informed decisions.
I wasn't saying that Canyon have poor customer service. I was generalising.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Canyon have an online size calculator which takes into account height, inseam, trunk length, reach and shoulder width. Its going to be pretty close, and MTB design means that you can adjust fit with stem height, bar rise, stem length and so on. Sizing isn't as critical on a MTB in any case, and many riders tend to fall I to the trap of thinking a MTB has yo be as big as their road frame. Far better to go a size smaller and run a bit of seatpost than ago too large and end up with a five bar gate and no standover.

If Canyon and others ran free returns they'd end up payong twice for every finnicky pillock who can't make their minds up. If you want bespoke fitting, go to a MTB specific bike shop and pay the premium.
I was generalising about online shopping. But I don't think it's unreasonable for the supplier to cover costs for something that you have to buy without seeing or trying.
Everyone is slightly different size wise, and you're right, there are some really fussy people.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I guarantee that if they offered 'free' carriage and or 'free' returns that you would end up paying for it anyway through increased prices. Given the value for money offered by Rose and Canyon (I would have had to pay £100s more for an equivalent spec from a UK supplier) I was willing to accept their returns charges if necessary. Do lots of research. Search the forums and reviews, ask them lots of questions before you order. Rose have a UK rep who is very helpful, and I expect Canyon do to.

screenman

Legendary Member
I was generalising about online shopping. But I don't think it's unreasonable for the supplier to cover costs for something that you have to buy without seeing or trying.
Everyone is slightly different size wise, and you're right, there are some really fussy people.

I think most will be happy to do that, you just have to pay more for it.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Canyon have an online size calculator which takes into account height, inseam, trunk length, reach and shoulder width. Its going to be pretty close, and MTB design means that you can adjust fit with stem height, bar rise, stem length and so on. Sizing isn't as critical on a MTB in any case, and many riders tend to fall I to the trap of thinking a MTB has yo be as big as their road frame. Far better to go a size smaller and run a bit of seatpost than ago too large and end up with a five bar gate and no standover.

If Canyon and others ran free returns they'd end up payong twice for every finnicky pillock who can't make their minds up. If you want bespoke fitting, go to a MTB specific bike shop and pay the premium.
When I ordered my Canyon and used the online sizing tool, it told me to get a 54cm frame. Considering i'm 6ft and my last 5 bikes have been a 58cm frame with no issue, why would I go with a 54cm frame?

Cubist

Still wavin'
P
When I ordered my Canyon and used the online sizing tool, it told me to get a 54cm frame. Considering i'm 6ft and my last 5 bikes have been a 58cm frame with no issue, why would I go with a 54cm frame?
who knows. Perhaps you have the limbs of an orangutan.
I'm just under 6' and a 58 road frame was too big for me.

Like I and many others have said, if you don't trust mail order, go to a shop.

OP
OP
medavidcook

medavidcook

what was the correct size for you, was the 54 the right size

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
what was the correct size for you, was the 54 the right size
58cm with wider bars and a shorter stem.

Motozulu

Über Member
I can't add a lot to the wise words from @Cubist, other than to say my 17" Rose is bordering on being too big despite me taking a 19" in other makes.

Perhaps both Rose and Canyon do 'come up big' for their stated size.

I'm test riding one of these on Wednesday at Ashton Court, with Fin, the Rose UK rep, so I'll know if the sizing is right or not. Like the OP I am looking at Canyon and Radon as well as Rose, I like the Radons and Canyons a lot but I suspect if the ride goes well I'll be buying the Chief 3. the configurator they have on the site is awesome, almost like building your own bike.

2ppanvr.jpg

OP
OP
medavidcook

medavidcook

Motozulu

Über Member
Both lovely bikes but I wanted to get away from Fox and have ordered a Granite Chief from Rose bikes with Pikes and a Monarch RT3. I know the looks of the Chief aren't to everyone's taste but I test rode one on Wednesday with Fin, the UK rep, at Ashton Court and tbh the bike absolutely blew me away. What a machine to ride that is. Having said that, you won't go wrong with a Canyon, though I'd still say ride one first.

Top Bottom