Canyon Cheaper if Delivered to Ireland (Euro Rate)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ginormousgiant

Considering buying a new Canyon and as I have a friend who lives close to N.Ireland border with Republic of Ireland I am going to have it delivered to him and pay in Euro (I live in N.Ireland). This will save about £220 at todays exchange rate.

Will this cause any issues with warranty etc?

Any thoughts?

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Wouldn't the billing address have to be in the Republic too? Is your friend buying it and you reimbursing him?

classic33

Leg End Member
Warranty will remain the actual person who purchased it. Even if you gave them the money to buy it. Slighly different "sales of goods" law in the Republic of Ireland than North of the border.

Possible your friend may be charged export duty and then import duty, if stopped at the border.
At the extreme it may even be seized.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Warranty will remain the actual person who purchased it. Even if you gave them the money to buy it. Slighly different "sales of goods" law in the Republic of Ireland than North of the border.

Possible your friend may be charged export duty and then import duty, if stopped at the border.
At the extreme it may even be seized.

No duty payable within the EU. As long as the VAT applicable to the country of purchase (and it will have been), there's no problem. Warranty is another issue.

BrynCP

Über Member
Being Ireland (,Germany) and UK are both in the EU, why would there by any duty or seizing of product.

Tax wouldn't be avoided, it would be paid at 23% (Ireland) or 19% (Deutschland) depending on if accounted for in Ireland or Deutschland. Chances are it will be 23% as Ireland has a low threshold for destination country VAT accounting.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I bought a Canyon in £ but afterwards wondered if I should have gone for € as the exchange rate was good (for the UK)
Would it be possible to just log onto the German site and order it like that once you know what you want if you don't understand foreign speak. Your debit/credit card will charge a few quid for the currency transaction though.

Wobblers

Euthermic

That only applies when you're travelling from outside Europe. See page 4. At a stretch, it could be classified as "commercial purposes" if the OP's friend buys it and then takes payment. It would be very unlikely to be called out though. The obvious solution would be for ginormousgiant to get it delivered to his friend's house in his own name. That way, ownership would be unambiguously his, so there would be no issues over importing or warranty.

classic33

Leg End Member
Not a chance on that part. The warranty could well be void from the start.
There still remains the issue of Cross Border transfer of the item and the value of goods you're allowed to bring in.

U

User6179

I bought a Canyon in £ but afterwards wondered if I should have gone for € as the exchange rate was good (for the UK)
Would it be possible to just log onto the German site and order it like that once you know what you want if you don't understand foreign speak. Your debit/credit card will charge a few quid for the currency transaction though.

I don't think that makes a difference to the price other than making it more expensive , your just changing from pounds to euros which will have a fee attached from your bank (about 2%) , if you just buy in pounds you are getting the conversion for free .

I think the OP has looked at the price in Euros and thinks it is a lot cheaper but he has still to add VAT for the country it is being sold to .

BrynCP

Über Member
I didn't think there were any restrictions within the EU on duty/tax paid items

There aren't for personal use.

McWobble is spot on, just get it delivered under the OP's name to a premises in Ireland. What is wrong with this? (S)He can then carry, transport or preferably ride the bike over the border.

I am not sure where the OP is buying from, but Canyon's website adds VAT automatically. Normally for a B2C sale like this, VAT is charged in the country of sale, so it would be Germany; however, if they export more than €35 000 to Ireland, then they charge VAT in Ireland, which Canyon's own website acknowledges with 23% VAT (German MWST is 19% on bikes).

U

User6179

There aren't for personal use.

McWobble is spot on, just get it delivered under the OP's name to a premises in Ireland. What is wrong with this? (S)He can then carry, transport or preferably ride the bike over the border.

I am not sure where the OP is buying from, but Canyon's website adds VAT automatically. Normally for a B2C sale like this, VAT is charged in the country of sale, so it would be Germany; however, if they export more than €35 000 to Ireland, then they charge VAT in Ireland, which Canyon's own website acknowledges with 23% VAT (German MWST is 19% on bikes).

I thought VAT is added for Country it is being bought from , not country it is being sold from !?

Top Bottom