Captive nut in frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leaway2

Lycrist
I have a rivnut rattling in my ali frame (seat stay). How can I stop it rattling. I have read about Waxoyl, but it is an expensive solution as I don't have any.
Drip some paint in? Superglue?
Do you have any suggestions?

Drago

Legendary Member
Dribble in some of the sides nail varnish.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If it is one of the rackmounts that has dropped out then some superglue dribbled in the hole and bouncing the back wheel up and down a couple of times might stick it to the bottom of the tube, if it is still in place but rattling then just put a bolt into it and nip the bolt up.

OP
OP
Leaway2

Leaway2

Lycrist
I didn't think of that. Melt some bees wax. It is nice and tacky and stays that way forever. Harder waxes like candle will loosen and break up, I recently got a couple of blocks on Amazon for about two pounds or so.
I am liking this solution. I could put a hair drier on the tube to ensure it reaches the bottom.

Citius

Ride to a car repair shop/garage which has a rivnut tool. Get them to nip up the rivnut with the aforementioned tool. Job done (the proper way).

OP
OP
Leaway2

Leaway2

Lycrist
Ride to a car repair shop/garage which has a rivnut tool. Get them to nip up the rivnut with the aforementioned tool. Job done (the proper way).
The problem was that the screw was seized in the nut.

I am liking this solution. I could put a hair drier on the tube to ensure it reaches the bottom.
The melting point is about 60 degrees or so. I don't know if a hairdryer will keep a bit of metal that hot over such a distance. How big is your oven?
@Citius My assumption is that a bit has broken off and is floating around.

OP
OP
Leaway2

Leaway2

Lycrist
ok I'm with you now - so a bit has dropped off into the frame. Must have missed that post.
No problem, its post #5 but probably should have been in post #1 to make it clearer.
Thanks to all that replied. I have bought some Beeswax but am still open to suggestions.
I will follow up when it arrives.

Top Bottom