Car adverts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
With you all the way Gavvers.

Ones that annoy me are car ads that mention the 'school run'. When I'm PM, which must surely be any day now, I will ban the use of the term in any kind of automobile advertising.

And something else. The latest SEAT TV ad. What a load of bollards. 40 seconds of tosh, and 3 seconds of product at the end. I guess the woman that signed off on Anheuser Busch's publicity campaign now got a job at SEAT.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
They're that way because of the basic product (transportation of people and/or goods from A to B) isn't sexy. There are very limited differences between each type of box and most of them are sat idle or in queues a lot of the time, neither of which is attractive to the viewer.

So it's all atmospheric and arty shots with little actual product information about the car. Because advertising mileage, capacity, size, etc. isn't attractive or sexy.

DRHysted

Guru
It’s mainly done to get you thinking about the brand, like one manufacturer who has recently decided we’ve been pronouncing their name wrong.
That way (they hope) when you’re looking to buy a car their name will be in your head.

Drago

Legendary Member
The problem with Hyundai is that they themselves flip flop every few years over the pronunciation. In the last decade we've been from dai to dee, back to dai and now very much back to dee again. They'll be calling themselves Consignia next.

simongt

Guru
When I had a telly, the thing that amused me about car adverts was that most of the cars shown were L/H drive, the models shown were of the top of the range ones and the roads they were driving on were empty.
Where are these roads pray - ? :whistle:

simongt

Guru
that don't take themselves seriously, a bit of humour around an advert works wonders
Which is why one of my favourite ones was the Rolo advert with the lad and the elephant. :okay:

It all went downhill after the advertisers banned blokes in velvet suits ragging around after five whiskies in a cloud of cigar (and tyre) smoke. Spoil sports.

mustang1

Guru
I don't quite dislike car adverts. If you take them too literally then yeah they are silly (where is the traffic jam?). But they exist just to make.people aware of the brand.

Don't wanna siderail this thread, but the adverts that really annoy me are those which feature dancers. If it's an advert about beds, you have dancers dancing around a bed. A new kitchen? Yup, more dancers. Wth is going on there?

mustang1

Guru
Car journalists are boring as heck.

Let's see the 0-60 times of these eco boxes and the quarter mile runs. Pfft.

I *do* like sports cars going around The Ring though.

Top Bottom