Car bike racks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I finally fitted my Thule 591 and drove to Yorkshire and back at the weekend. Mr Dawes says he enjoyed his ride on the top of the car. Very happy with it.

I trundled up, not going over 60 and the fuel consumption didn't suffer much. My wife drove back a bit quicker and the consumption plummeted.

I think I'll leave the roof bars on for the summer, putting them on and off is a bit of a faff.

LimeBurn

Über Member
I have Mont Blanc Barracudas which are great they've never let me down. BUT I have driven under a car port with the bikes on damaging the car and bikes which was my own stupid fault.

biker grove

I recently got a second-hand Thule 9103. Fits on the tailgate but high up and no straps. Feels nice and secure but found that it needed 2 people to get it on/off.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Today four bike on the roof of my MINI Cooper D using Thule gear.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I had to take the saddles off three of them and twist the bars on one but they're on there safe and sound and survived the journey.

D

Deleted member 23692

Atera Giro AF roof carriers for me.... and very good they are too.

D

Deleted member 23692

[QUOTE 3100100, member: 45"]I had a bad experience with Giros. Got three out of a bad batch where the ratchet system didn't work properly. Apparently they've fixed it since.[/QUOTE]I remember reading your thread, which did make me question my decision at the time.. However I'm happy to report that all is well with my two.

Last edited by a moderator:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Today four bike on the roof of my MINI Cooper D using Thule gear. View attachment 46133 View attachment 46134
I had to take the saddles off three of them and twist the bars on one but they're on there safe and sound and survived the journey.

OK you get the prize for most bikes on a mini roof....

I get 4 bikes on mine but using the 532's but with no fiddling with bars and saddles, but that is on a family saloon.

D

Deleted member 23692

Today four bike on the roof of my MINI Cooper D using Thule gear
What's the max roof loading on a mini?

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
OK you get the prize for most bikes on a mini roof....

I get 4 bikes on mine but using the 532's but with no fiddling with bars and saddles, but that is on a family saloon.
I don't know what 532's are, although the gear is Thule it's MINI branded so it's the same stuff I guess I just paid more! :tongue:

davdandy

I`m still looking for the right rack,but honestly,how easy or difficult is putting the bikes on the roof,not everyone is a strapping six footer.I am tending to favour the rear mounts and seen the saris bones 3 which seems ideal.

Bikes on cars fill me with horror. I refuse to drive behind any vehicle bearing bikes on a motorway, as I fear a bike through the windscreen at any moment.

That said, I'm thinking of getting a bike carrier for my car. But I don't really have any idea of the options, pros and cons.

I want to be able to carry my bike (Traditional diamond frame Spa Steel Audax) and my wife's (Step thru hybrid Specialized Vita) in or on my car (Mercedes A Class 2009) Ideally, I don't want them to fall off and bounce end-over-end down the road. I do want to go on a ferry.

Seems like my options are:

Tow bar mount. I'd have to get a tow ball/tow bar thingy installed, and this would also provide me with a number plate/light bar. I have no desire to tow anything with my car so this seems a bit like overkill, but it also seems like the most secure bike carrier option, as well as the most expensive. I have even entrusted my own bike to one, on a couple of occasions.

Attach to hatch door by a hideous wonky Heath-Robinson mechanism consisting of a thousand straps buckles, string and spit. Like this I don't like the look of this. It looks like the cheapest option - but with good reason.

Roof rack. Oh dear god. I don't think I'd be able to bring myself to drive at over 20mph with a bike wobbling about on the roof. I'm breaking out in a cold sweat just thinking about it. That said, taking the front wheel out and attaching the front fork to an ersatz axle in the rack does seem quite secure. And it's how the pros do it. I could drive up alongside random cyclists and hand them bottles.

Any experience/advice?

Lastly, there's always the "ride there" option.
Personally, I use Thule roof carrier. Bike is out of way on roof and Thule do a single key option for the roof bars and bike carrier(s). It takes me 10 mns to mount bars and carrier on roof, load bike and lock in place. Don't have any fears about the bikes coming off. It just doesn't happen, speed not a problem.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Personally, I use Thule roof carrier. Bike is out of way on roof and Thule do a single key option for the roof bars and bike carrier(s). It takes me 10 mns to mount bars and carrier on roof, load bike and lock in place. Don't have any fears about the bikes coming off. It just doesn't happen, speed not a problem.
Thanks for the reassurance. Since posting that I took the bold step of getting a pair of Thule roof carriers. I even drove through the Blackwall tunnel, which didn't scrape my bike off the roof. Then drove to Yorkshire, constantly checking for a reassuring shadow to prove that my bike was still there.

The problem with fear is that often it isn't rational. But I'm getting a bit more relaxed about it.

Top Bottom