Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My son's now onto replacing his exhaust :whistle: Oh no, noisy one I can see. He's in the middle of shaping a pipe to match the original before fitting the replacement back box. He's cut the pipe and bent it to shape and is learning welding. His new employer is letting him use their welding kit - probably better practicing on something of your own that you can chuck in the bin if it all goes wrong.

D

Deleted member 26715

His new employer is letting him use their welding kit - probably better practicing on something of your own that you can chuck in the bin if it all goes wrong.
Absolutely despite what our Educationalist tell us, we need people who can fix things & not just sit pushing buttons on keyboard every day

D

Deleted member 26715

Work on the kitcar continues, last week's disaster was making brackets to mount the radiator, drilled & tapped holes only to find once filled with coolant & up to pressure it was coming back out, I'd drilled too deep, new radiator ordered only to arrive & the fan mountings were different so all new brackets had to be made.

Once all fitted back together ran it up to temperature, only issue was the thermostat was stuck so chucked the coolant out :laugh: new one fitted yesterday & all is good. I've also been stripping the wiring out, removing things like electric window, central locking, heater, power steering pump wiring, SRS etc. After each wire removal making sure the engine still starts along with all the lights. Did okay apart from one wire which was the immobiliser telltale light.

Problem now is that running the engine up has revealed an issue that it has an oil leak from the rear crankshaft seal, so everything has the be removed again, frame removed to split the engine & gearbox, FFS!!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Grace has been occupying some of my time. Nothing more than you would expect from a 27 year old car, windscreen washers stopped working, so pump removed and freed up, all good. Finally got around to sourcing and fitting the missing drivers door trim, so she looks more presentable.
On a trip to the dump the rear wiper stopped working, so that's next on the list to fettle. Need to keep things tip top, MOT next month...

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Volvo's dashboard lit up with all kinds of strange warning lights threatening deathkill annihilation within seconds. Plugged in the iCarsoft V2 and it tells me some kind of yaw sensor relating to the stability system was out of calibration, and that in turn had caused the ABS to surrender. Cleared the fault, and Mrs D has done 40 miles in it for me today with no recurrence, so I'm hoping its a gremlin, a stray neutron from outer space, rather than an actual fault.

D

Deleted member 26715

So this his how the kitcar started at 8:30 this morning

This is how it was at 4:00 pm this afternoon

Doesn't look a lot different right, however in the middle there was this image of after the engine had been removed, rear crankshaft oil seal replaced before all going back in again.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Replaced my Golf TDI a couple of months ago with another Golf (GTE). The DAB reception is driving me nuts.
Mrs B's Tiguan's DAB is brilliant, but this car 😡. I know the aerial is in the heated rear window and took the panels off the hatch back to look for signs of bad connectors or perhaps a previous rear dash cam, but zilch. So time for a rethink.

keithmac

Guru
Good deed of the day done. My brother called last night to see if I could look at his Kuga as the front and rear wash wasn't working. Fortunately the motor was spinning but no water coming through.

Blasted some hot water into the tank but that didn't make much difference. So..

Off with the wheel and about 15 clips to enable me to pull the wheel arch liner out of the way. Removed both pumps then pulled out the rubber washer on the tank. Larger pump (for headlamps) had no filter, but the smaller pump had a tiny filter on the rubber washer. It was gunked up.

All cleaned and reassembled the car. Took just over an hour.

Saved my brother a lengthy garage visit. Only down side, his car was bloody filthy, which in turn left me filthy.

Seems a really common problem on the Kugas?, what washer fluid was he using?.

Our Mk2 Kuga went straight through it's 4th MOT on Monday.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Seems a really common problem on the Kugas?, what washer fluid was he using?.

Our Mk2 Kuga went straight through it's 4th MOT on Monday.

He said he'd accidentally mixed it (makes). TBH never had any issue myself and my car is nearly 19 years old. Might be because the filter is plastic and has tiny holes. His was gunked up badly with blue gunk. If you have to do it, it's the lowest 'pump - the bigger one is the lights. When you pull it out, the water should gush out, his didn't as the filter was blocked. You just have to pull the rubber stopper out and the filter comes out with it.

Gunk

Guru
Replaced my Golf TDI a couple of months ago with another Golf (GTE). The DAB reception is driving me nuts.
Mrs B's Tiguan's DAB is brilliant, but this car 😡. I know the aerial is in the heated rear window and took the panels off the hatch back to look for signs of bad connectors or perhaps a previous rear dash cam, but zilch. So time for a rethink.

Sounds like a fault, my GTD is perfect. I’m sure they have an amplifier for the aerial, check that.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

What age is the car?

Early factory DAB installations were poor whatever the make.

My 2017 Ford Cmax is pretty good, although it takes a few seconds to change channels - a known characteristic.

DAB transmission is still iffy in parts of the country.

In my case, some of Northumberland is a DAB free zone.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
What age is the car?

Early factory DAB installations were poor whatever the make.

My 2017 Ford Cmax is pretty good, although it takes a few seconds to change channels - a known characteristic.

DAB transmission is still iffy in parts of the country.

In my case, some of Northumberland is a DAB free zone.
65 plate.
Mrs B's car is a year younger and has never had any trouble picking up DAB. I know there are some dead spots, but where I live isn't one of them. Also, apart from occasional silences, her car has picked up DAB from Devon to Fife.

Top Bottom