Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I do like a big 2 door coupe

gbb

Legendary Member
My first 'car trouble' in years, maybe decades....
Astra 2015, 68k miles, ESP and engine management lights came on. Didn't notice anything untoward but I was only a few hundred yards from home. A little research pointed to spark plugs or coil. I replaced plugs earlier this year so took it out for a quick drive,now misfiring very obviously.
Whipped the plugs out for a visual, they look fine. New coil pack ordered.
I could be borrowing my SILs old Fiat Doblo high top for a day or two, ugly as sun but I don't mind it.

gbb

Legendary Member
The irony is I was thinking of getting an obd2 reader with any Xmas money, just as it's something useful to have.
My SIL has one and is a garage mechanic but given the prevalence of ESP and MIL lights, a misfire and peoples experience a spark plug or coil pack solves the issue, it seems a reasonable step to assume it's the coilpack. SILs only reservation was dont get a cheap one, they often fail in his experience after a few months. OEM Delphi coilpack ordered, £98.
I will still get a code reader though.

Wifey's key fobs were dead, so I replaced the batteries

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've got this little lot to fit at some point:

- 2x phone antennae and cables, need to run them from the glovebox to somewhere behind the rear bumper. This is the last part of the infotainment upgrade I did recently.
- Front assist camera and wiring loom, need to run the loom from the front radar sensor to the drivers side A pillar, then up and around the windscreen to the rear view mirror. This upgrade also needs a new windscreen before the camera can be attached and calibrated.
- 2x side radar modules and wiring loom, these sit on either side of the car behind the rear wheels under the bumper. Wiring loom needs to connect up somewhere, not really sure where yet :laugh:
- Park assist module and wiring loom, plus four additional side sensors (not pictured), these are an upgrade from the park pilot system which beeps to the park assist which parks for you.

The two phone antenna and cables will go in as soon as I get an opportunity to take the rear bumper off, the rest can wait a bit longer. I'm due a company car from 1st Jan and am yet to see the list of options. If there's something electric on there I'll order it and sell the Passat, in which case I will probably sell the parts seperately to save myself some faff :laugh:

Gunk

Guru
I've got this little lot to fit at some point:

View attachment 564816

- 2x phone antennae and cables, need to run them from the glovebox to somewhere behind the rear bumper. This is the last part of the infotainment upgrade I did recently.
- Front assist camera and wiring loom, need to run the loom from the front radar sensor to the drivers side A pillar, then up and around the windscreen to the rear view mirror. This upgrade also needs a new windscreen before the camera can be attached and calibrated.
- 2x side radar modules and wiring loom, these sit on either side of the car behind the rear wheels under the bumper. Wiring loom needs to connect up somewhere, not really sure where yet :laugh:
- Park assist module and wiring loom, plus four additional side sensors (not pictured), these are an upgrade from the park pilot system which beeps to the park assist which parks for you.

The two phone antenna and cables will go in as soon as I get an opportunity to take the rear bumper off, the rest can wait a bit longer. I'm due a company car from 1st Jan and am yet to see the list of options. If there's something electric on there I'll order it and sell the Passat, in which case I will probably sell the parts seperately to save myself some faff :laugh:

So what are you adding John, OEM reversing camera and phone kit?

JhnBssll

Veteran
So what are you adding John, OEM reversing camera and phone kit?

The phone antennas are OEM and connect to the new infotainment module. In essence the car borrows your phones SIM card via Bluetooth and connects itself to the GSM network. This will give better mobile phone coverage and also allow the car to check traffic etc to keep the sat nav happy. The front camera will allow me to enable all the front assist features, ie self steering, lane control etc while the side radar modules will monitor the blind spots. I've got new wing mirrors to fit with orange lamps that light up when there's a car next to you and it will actively steer away if you try to sideswipe someone you haven't spotted. All very clever really! I have fitted the OEM rear view camera as well :laugh:

Top Bottom