Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
The phone antennas are OEM and connect to the new infotainment module. In essence the car borrows your phones SIM card via Bluetooth and connects itself to the GSM network. This will give better mobile phone coverage and also allow the car to check traffic etc to keep the sat nav happy. The front camera will allow me to enable all the front assist features, ie self steering, lane control etc while the side radar modules will monitor the blind spots. I've got new wing mirrors to fit with orange lamps that light up when there's a car next to you and it will actively steer away if you try to sideswipe someone you haven't spotted. All very clever really! I have fitted the OEM rear view camera as well :laugh:

So is it plug and play, or do you need to cut it in to the Canbus system?

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Rear wiper on the Volvo not working, unless the tailgate is open, really helpful. Tested tailgate open/shut, cables broken in the hinges again. Rather than do the same repair again, I opted to use an exiting grommet opening and run the cabling that way. Working wiper, happy days.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Had the warning lights back up on the Volvo. The V2 tells me its the OSF ABS sensor, but reading around tells me its more likely to be a cracked reluctor ring. Ill split the difference - I'll do the sensor myself, and if that doesn't fix it the dealer can do the reluctor ring, because its apparently the very devil itself to get the new ring onto the shaft.

And it will be the dealer - the car is so complex it even has an onboard fibre optic network for some systems, so i wouldn't entrust it to an independent. You gotta know when to hold and when to fold.

Otherwise, its still driving fine in the meantime.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Had the warning lights back up on the Volvo. The V2 tells me its the OSF ABS sensor, but reading around tells me its more likely to be a cracked reluctor ring. Ill split the difference - I'll do the sensor myself, and if that doesn't fix it the dealer can do the reluctor ring, because its apparently the very devil itself to get the new ring onto the shaft.

And it will be the dealer - the car is so complex it even has an onboard fibre optic network for some systems, so i wouldn't entrust it to an independent. You gotta know when to hold and when to fold.

Otherwise, its still driving fine in the meantime.

Easy to check with a torch. It will be a tiny split. The ABS warning on my car lit up when I hit motorway speeds. Fairly common issue TBH as both mine have cracked at different times (the car is nearly 18 years old). Wasn't just the ring that had to be replaced, the whole unit, as you can't buy the rings easily, plus no-one will faff with it. The garage, even with all their power tools had a right job after 16 years on the car. :wacko:

fossyant

After replacing the back box a few months ago, the mid section has gone, which was to be expected. Now we have a decent impact driver gun, this should be easy (son's early Xmas present) and he has a set of deep impact sockets coming from Santa, that I might borrow if my sockets don't fit :whistle:

fossyant

My car has been stood too long this last 9 months. Now it's getting damp and cold outside, it's occasionally stuttering when at low revs. Used to get this in winter when I was cycle commuting as the car never moved. Problem went when I was using it more.

JhnBssll

Veteran
So is it plug and play, or do you need to cut it in to the Canbus system?

Theyre all OEM modules but the wiring and connectors don't exist as they weren't factory fitted so yeah, I'll have to connect in to the canbus again in several places. The rest is coding with VCDS to tell the car the new bits exist then enable the various options :okay:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Easy to check with a torch. It will be a tiny split. The ABS warning on my car lit up when I hit motorway speeds. Fairly common issue TBH as both mine have cracked at different times (the car is nearly 18 years old). Wasn't just the ring that had to be replaced, the whole unit, as you can't buy the rings easily, plus no-one will faff with it. The garage, even with all their power tools had a right job after 16 years on the car. :wacko:
I'm planning to have a look early in the new year. Hoping its just the sensor, but if I have to wave some shekels at Volvo then so be it. Its the first fault on the car in 12 years and 143000 miles, so can't grumnle.

with the last storm, our Son pulled too hard on the passenger side door handle. '94 Camry is plastic. I personally broke the driver side when he was still living w/ us a cpl yrs ago. I've taken precautions, like warning him about the hazzard. (but not recently). I've also taken steps to clean all the gaskets & wipe them w/ protectant (as recently as this Fall). grrr, I'll have to order the cheap part. we had our shop do it with an oil change & tire rotation last time. he doesn't even want to fix it, which I just don't understand, there must be a missing gene ...

keithmac

Guru
I think I may have a gearbox fetish.

After all the hassle I've had with ours I still wasn't completely happy with it's "brain", Fords programming and gearbox strategies just didn't feel right to me (certain situations it could get confused and take a second or two to make it's mind up).

So £350 and 90 seconds later it's running DTUK's custom firmware.

Done 30 miles this morning and it's transformed the car, I'm genuinely over the moon with it.

Transition from braking to accelerating, setting off from junctions, cluch clamp rate, target gear selection, all of it is much much better.

Worth every penny!.

Gunk

Guru
I could do with that mod on my 2015 DSG Golf GTD, just now and again, especially coming out of a roundabout it just gets confused to which gear it should be in and you end up with a huge flat spot.

keithmac

Guru
I was very sceptical, some have said similar units just do a gearbox reset.

I have the factory diagnostic kit, have done firmware updates, clutch and fork learns etc and the DTUK boxes definitely alter the gear selection and clutch strategies.

Can't recommend it highly enough really!.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I could do with that mod on my 2015 DSG Golf GTD, just now and again, especially coming out of a roundabout it just gets confused to which gear it should be in and you end up with a huge flat spot.

I had the 7 speed DSG in my Passat mapped at the same time as the engine - it made a big improvement. The shift points were all tweaked and the torque limits raised in-line with the new engine output. It now shifts quicker on acceleration and holds each gear for longer, almost completely eliminating the nuisance shifts when you try to make progress :laugh: I would second @keithmac in recommending getting it done and although I didn't use a plug in solution the piggyback boxes seem to get good reviews :okay:

keithmac

Guru
I had the 7 speed DSG in my Passat mapped at the same time as the engine - it made a big improvement. The shift points were all tweaked and the torque limits raised in-line with the new engine output. It now shifts quicker on acceleration and holds each gear for longer, almost completely eliminating the nuisance shifts when you try to make progress :laugh: I would second @keithmac in recommending getting it done and although I didn't use a plug in solution the piggyback boxes seem to get good reviews :okay:

I couldn't find anyone why could reflash my 6DCT450, basically the DTUK TCU+ rewrites the software inside the gearbox (over canbus), once it's done that you remove the dongle and job done.

Same result as yours but done at home.

As you say it's night and day different, "nuisance shifts" describes them very well; you wouldn't make those in a manual car.

D

Deleted member 26715

None of the CC's has access to VagCom do they, we have an engine issue with the LT35 & want to see the codes, I have a cheapo Bluetooth ELM327 & Torque, although it sees the ELM327 it won't connect to the ECU

Top Bottom