Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
The bearings in the 205's alternator were developing the squeal of imminent death. It probably is the original alternator so I can't complain. I did replace bushes at some point in the past.

I considered getting it reconditioned or looking for an exchange unit then I had a brainwave. It's a Lucas alternator. I have a brand new Lucas alternator in the attic at home still in it's box. I believe it is supposed to fit an Austin Meastro. I had bought it to upgrade an old Ford tractor from dynamo to alternator years ago and then found something better to use instead.

I got it out and compared it to the one on the 205 and it was very, very similar. I changed the pulley and made a minor modification to the mounting bracket, changed from spades to screw-on terminals and it fits perfectly, runs silently and shows healthy charge when tested with the multimeter. :becool:All done in 40 or 50 minutes with no expenditure. Cars of the '80s and '90s are so DIY friendly :okay:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Just to upset you, my own car is a bit elderly so has a Nextbase DAB adaptor - the reception is superb!
I am reminded of my own car's DAB inability every time I drive Mrs B's car. But thanks for the (not) sympathy. :laugh:
A replacement amplifier has been ordered via fleabay. An alternative would have been to swap the amplifier with that in Mrs B car and see if that worked, but fleabay was a better marriage alternative.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I hid the antenna behind the top tint on the screen so its invisible. I was a bit dubious about how well it would work, but ive been blown away.

Gunk

Guru
I was a bit dubious about how well it would work, but ive been blown away.

yo vanilla

Since the pandemic we haven't put many miles on the cars, thus no need for anything for quite some time. In October I bled the brakes in the Jetta wagon (Golf Variant) and fitted the snow tires to all three cars. I'm sure I've got a few things coming up for the Audi..

Top Bottom