Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I remember a discussion about 'cyclops ' drivers....with one headlight out. Owner complained it was a Mercedes and a replacement light was a few hundred quid. Tough, he chose the blooming thing, expensive cars have expensive parts, surprise surprise.
Actually headlights on most of these new cars are scary ! LED units , I’ve heard of cars being written off due to the cost replacement of insignificant items versus car value !?

mikeIow

Guru
Garages aren't obliged. They refused to re-fit the tyres unless he signed a disclaimer stating he knew they were illegal.
Oh, I understand that…..I just think they should be obliged to not allow an illegal car back out on the road.
Some topics could be a little contentious, but tyres below the legal minimum is an obvious one to avoid 🤷‍♂️

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I’d still think they may retain liability in terms of knowingly aiding and abetting.

Depends upon the business. Personally I'd refuse to fit them, but not everyone thinks like that - the Garage boss possibly doesn't care so long as it's been pointed out to the owner - and the wodge of cash in his bank for some fancy wheels.

fossyant

Just dropped Ms Fos at college. On the way back along the 'motorway' a van driver was driving like a 'silly van driver'. So I gave him a little 'toot' on the horn. Problem was, it was a 'little toot' - like those poor single tone car's are. Whatttt.

Popped the plastic cover off, and one of the horns cables has snapped. Off with the horn, spliced in an extra few inches of cable, and a new spade connector, and I'm back with my fog horn. :crazy:

Could have been broken ages, not used it in a long time. :laugh:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I'm bringing down the neighbourhood again. My new to me Volvo V70R is up on axle stands again. Trying to track down a front end rattle, so now drop links fitted. Whilst it's up I'm also trying to pin down a reasonable oil leak from the back of the engine. Never leaks when stationary, so I'm hoping it's the turbo oil return to the sump which is spraying under load. The gearbox output shaft it right next to it so any oil spitting from the seals will get splattered everywhere. A few quids worth of parts, but a fiddly job to change.

Just dropped Ms Fos at college. On the way back along the 'motorway' a van driver was driving like a 'silly van driver'. So I gave him a little 'toot' on the horn. Problem was, it was a 'little toot' - like those poor single tone car's are. Whatttt.

Popped the plastic cover off, and one of the horns cables has snapped. Off with the horn, spliced in an extra few inches of cable, and a new spade connector, and I'm back with my fog horn. :crazy:

Could have been broken ages, not used it in a long time. :laugh:
As a matter of interest what does 'tooting ' at someone you think has committed a 'crime' actually mean?

Is it to alert the driver of your presence or is it to somehow make him/her aware of your displeasure of their actions?

fossyant

As a matter of interest what does 'tooting ' at a driver you think has committed a 'crime' actually mean?

Is it to alert the driver of your presence or is it to somehow make him/her aware of your displeasure of their actions?

I supose swerving all over the motorway without indiation and nearly crashing in front of you. I only had a little toot ! :whistle:

Last edited:

fossyant

I'm bringing down the neighbourhood again. My new to me Volvo V70R is up on axle stands again. Trying to track down a front end rattle, so now drop links fitted. Whilst it's up I'm also trying to pin down a reasonable oil leak from the back of the engine. Never leaks when stationary, so I'm hoping it's the turbo oil return to the sump which is spraying under load. The gearbox output shaft it right next to it so any oil spitting from the seals will get splattered everywhere. A few quids worth of parts, but a fiddly job to change.
Only takes a tiny drip to spread given air flow - just have to try and trace it back !

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Only takes a tiny drip to spread given air flow - just have to try and trace it back !
Since the weather has been rubbish I've been consigned to finishing the kitchen, so the Volvo is still on stands. At least if it's a static leak I may be able to spot it over the next few days. If nothing then I plan to run it whilst on the stands and video it from underneath on the phone, see if I get anywhere that way.

Top Bottom