Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
My car cleaned and bulbs tested ready for the MOT. It's going to the same place as it did last year, and in 2020 the tester remarked that he could not believe the condition of the car for its mileage.

Was feeling energetic and the sun peeped out, so also did the plastics with Vista, which should keep them looking like new until the spring.

Then tested all lights, how, washers, degreased the screen and checked the wipers, reset the tyre pressures and had my tread depth gauge on them. It ain't going to fail.

Mrs D's car is gopping, but we're saying adios to it on Thursday 2nd when her new Polestar 2 arrives so I have little inclination to do anything about it.
Accy, the chicken one's best, I find.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Im a chow mein man myself.

Last week I drove past the factory where they were invented and made. I felt that I was in the presence of gods. A truly humbling experience.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Son's car developed a slight petrol leak (petrol smell) Apparently the exhaust heat sheild has got hot, but was touching the tank and melted a bit of the plastic petrol tank (yikes). He drained the tank then has repaired it and moved the heat shield further away. I'll check when back from holiday and suggest some additional insulation.

I told him not to park it near the house until he's sure its not leaking.:whistle:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Son's car developed a slight petrol leak (petrol smell) Apparently the exhaust heat sheild has got hot, but was touching the tank and melted a bit of the plastic petrol tank (yikes). He drained the tank then has repaired it and moved the heat shield further away. I'll check when back from holiday and suggest some additional insulation.

I told him not to park it near the house until he's sure its not leaking.:whistle:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RLG1ys2CGcI

tyred

Legendary Member
I cleaned the inside of my car's cigarette lighter in an effort to remove corrosion so hopefully my mobile phone charger will work more reliably.

I am tempted to try to fit another lighter socket or some sort of power point somewhere else in the car as Peugeot put the lighter socket in a rather awkward and charger unfriendly place deep inside the ashtray but I guess charging smart phones and other devices wasn't high on the list of designer's priorities back in the 1980s...

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Bought a second hand oil sump for my 2012 Mini Countryman SD as I suspect it has a hairline fracture (or 4) and is leaking. The replacement sumps whilst OK on the outside seems to have a spiders web of cracks on the inside...I'm guessing they haven't gone all the way through as nothing is visible externally so I've ordered some JB Weld and some rotary burr attachments and will tidy up the replacement ready for fitting at the weekend.

Joy.

CXRAndy

Guru
I did a quick service on lads car.

Dropped oil and filter, air filter, new full synthetic oil 5w30 filter new wiper blades.

Took an hour, but I dropped a chubby a screwdriver, lost it in the sub frame, couldn't see it anywhere.

I had to dig out borescope camera to locate bloody thing, that nearly doubled the afternoon project

Top Bottom