Trailers & 'BWSOW's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Also, there are two camps when it comes to storage covers. There are those that like the fact that they keep bird droppings, tree sap and general detritus off of the van. Others argue that they get wet and limit airflow and can cause damp as well and rubbing on the paintwork and dulling the exterior.
We tried a cover on our Eriba, we stopped after. 6 months, as we found mould/ smell inside.

Recently I fitted a 'breakaway cable' mount, as there wasn't one; unless clipping into a spare bolt-hole counted? (then the cable may be too taut for, on tight left turns, & apply the hand-brake?)

I'd found a bracket (probably bought from Indespension, or Towsure, at some point?) in a tin, with a few high-tensile bolts & old Land Rover towing attachments (JATE rings, etc...)
Sadly, the present bolt was too short, once the bracket was fitted - even without the washers, to screw into the inner thread (of the 'insert') of the detachable ball 'carrier'
I sourced some longer ones, which were fine with a thicker washer ('8.8', M12 x 30mm)
'Blue' thread-lock was also used, on reassembly

It's close to the locking-lever, but still allows about 1/2" between them

Hmm, maybe I ought to have painted it?

Last edited:
We're having a weekend away shortly; Fri 1st - Sun 3rd Oct (1) & also one on the weekend of Fri 24 - Sun 26th (2)
We're taking it for its longest journey with us, so far
It's further down the A1; Newark-on-Trent

2. I'm only providing the delivery/collection service, for this weekend away (wife, her sister & dad)
To here; http://poplarfarm-caravans.co.uk/index.html

Dropped it (& father-in-law) off about 12:00
The river's about 50 yards away (in a straight line), with a boat-taxi, into the centre of York!
DSCI0165.JPG

This is The Ship pub car-park, the Boat-Taxi collects from a jetty, here

DSCI0167.JPG

Recently I fitted a 'breakaway cable' mount, as there wasn't one; unless clipping into a spare bolt-hole counted? (then the cable may be too taut for, on tight left turns, & apply the hand-brake?)
Nope!, it was fine at a full-lock turn, almost a 'jack-knfe' for the 'van

DRM

Guru
We're having a weekend away shortly; Fri 1st - Sun 3rd Oct (1) & also one on the weekend of Fri 24 - Sun 26th (2)
We're taking it for its longest journey with us, so far
It's further down the A1; Newark-on-Trent

It's the weekend of https://www.truckfest.co.uk/, & I'd stated that I was going to go down

So Senior Management has decided that we'll go down for the weekend, & she might/might not, come into the 'Fest' with me?
She may get the bus into Newark (the last time we were there was January 2019) instead

We're staying here; https://www.smeatonslakes.co.uk/why-smeaton.php
I've driven across the 'viaduct' before, to & from, Sutton-in-Ashfield, & as part of a 'Great North Road' trip (which it formed part of, until 'Newark Bypass' opened; the A1 loop to the east, in 1964)

1. We have to be back 'earlyish' on Sunday, as daughter returns to Uni, on Mon 4th, & we have to take her & her final items back to the shared house
However, on Sunday 3rd, it's Thornes Park Cyclo-Cross (Wakefield)
Which was (when I was competing) my 'home event', & I still watch when I can
https://yorkshirecyclocross.com/
So, even if we set off first thing, & got the 'van away, I'd still not get to the CX :headshake:
Plus, I'm working on the days of the other local rounds, at Temple Newsam, & Pontefract:angry:

2. I'm only providing the delivery/collection service, for this weekend away (wife, her sister & dad)
To here; http://poplarfarm-caravans.co.uk/index.html
We had a Coachman, was a cracking caravan, it's first outing was to the ferry at Hull, so nearly back to where it was built, then an over nighter near Bielefeld. and a fortnight in Potsdam, no issues everything just worked.

I'd found a bracket (probably bought from Indespension, or Towsure, at some point?) in a tin, with a few high-tensile bolts & old Land Rover towing attachments (JATE rings, etc...)
Sadly, the present bolt was too short, once the bracket was fitted - even without the washers, to screw into the inner thread (of the 'insert') of the detachable ball 'carrier'
I sourced some longer ones, which were fine with a thicker washer ('8.8', M12 x 30mm)
'Blue' thread-lock was also used, on reassembly

It's close to the locking-lever, but still allows about 1/2" between them
L
It’s okay, no tautness, or dragging, as seen on collection from Acaster Malbis this morning

It looks like it could be a rather wet 'van dragging' down the A1 tomorrow afternoon, to Newark-on-Trent:wacko:

https://www.truckfest.co.uk/truckfest-original/

DRHysted

Guru
Rather damp day here in Scotland taking down the awning prior to the long drive home tomorrow. Won’t be touching the A1
B846, B847, A9, M80, M73, M74, M6, M42, M40, A34, M3, M27, M271, A35 instead. Second time towing a tin box, it wasn’t too bad coming up, only wobbled a few times, so I tended to keep it at about an indicated 56 (52 in real terms). Never had any wobbles from the folding camper, but it had a much lower centre of gravity and less height. Found the tin box has a fold down bunk on top of the back wall, which I’ll be taking off and leaving between the front seats, silly place to put something heavy high and at the back!

DRHysted

Guru
Well I’m home in just over 12 hours (2 relief/refuelling stops). Towed back better, although I had to leave the bunk in place as it went too heavy on the nose when I removed it. The 1st 115 miles in Scotland were difficult as the wind came up from all directions and the heavens opened, once the weather died down I almost forgot it was there (except on the hills).

Top Bottom