Trailers & 'BWSOW's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
1633946619060.png

Quick Question

(as the 'van is in a compound, & I'll not get there for a while)

Whereabouts, (generally speaking) nowadays is the 'junction box' for the road-lighting on a 'van (Coachman)
Is it;
- under the 'gas-locker'?
- under the a-frame cover?
- under a seat?

Thanks

I asked this, as I picked up a couple of 12V circular 'marker-lights' (amber) at TruckFest', & have the intention of using them to install 'side-repeaters' for the indicators
I had a 4 yard extension cable (12N) in the garage, that's hung there for 10+ years, so I've stripped the outer sheathing off, & used the green/yellow/white inners to create longer leads onto the LEDs

They're similar to these, but presumably not from VWP, as they were 2 for £5
https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk/c-55-lighting/c-141-indicator-and-rear-lamps?product_id=1318

I'll try them later, as I think I have a spare 13pin plug & see how bright they are in daylight, before I go ahead, & start to drill holes in the BWSOW, even though it's into a merely 'cosmetic skirt'
I'll ask a sparky friend, this weekend to heat-shrink wrap the joints, then have a look at installation later

Recently I fitted a 'breakaway cable' mount, as there wasn't one; unless clipping into a spare bolt-hole counted? (then the cable may be too taut for, on tight left turns, & apply the hand-brake?)

I'd found a bracket (probably bought from Indespension, or Towsure, at some point?) in a tin, with a few high-tensile bolts & old Land Rover towing attachments (JATE rings, etc...)
Sadly, the present bolt was too short, once the bracket was fitted - even without the washers, to screw into the inner thread (of the 'insert') of the detachable ball 'carrier'
I sourced some longer ones, which were fine with a thicker washer ('8.8', M12 x 30mm)
'Blue' thread-lock was also used, on reassembly

It's close to the locking-lever, but still allows about 1/2" between them

Hmm, maybe I ought to have painted it?

View attachment 610354

View attachment 610356
I decided to paint it yesterday, as there were a few drops left over from the railings by the side door
It looks better for it

Last edited:
I'll be dragging the BWSOW, to the east of York on Friday, as SWMBO has booked a two-nighter, at Stamford Bridge (the real one, in Yorlkshire)

https://www.yorkshireholidayparks.co.uk/weir-holiday-park/about-weir-park/

I've seen the signs for it before, but didn't know where it was in the village

Done, dragged, delivered

Left work early (@12:00)
Home, picked father-in-law
Went for ‘van

M62 > FerryBridge > A1 North > HookMoor/‘Bramham Crossroads’ > A64 > Garrowby Hill/Fridaythorpe/Rudston Road > Stamford Bridge

It’s on a grass pitch, next to a pond, with’free-range’ Ducks
The site is surrounded by the River Derwent

8C72EE84-4E80-4E69-A77E-66BC57DD8FBC.jpeg

119B0CA3-AEF1-4E85-91A9-3076DD7DBDB3.jpeg

6CAB0EBE-0155-4CCB-B199-6334D5C33C2E.jpeg

Collected this morning, & given overnight rain, not a single rotation of wheelspin from the Kodiaq, even with all 4 tyres on muddy/wet grass:okay:

It is displaying a puzzling 'fault' though.
The (LED) awning-light, above the door is staying on
- the master switches are 'OFF'
- the awning switch is 'OFF'
- the light went off, when I plugged the 13-pin plug into the vehicle socket:wacko: (1)

Then, we had to stop near the Murton Park Farming Museum/auction site, as one of the access-flaps hadn't clipped closed properly
And again, on the first layby of the A64, as the battery-box flap was open
Thankfully, not even the red-key for the motor-mover circuit had fallen out

Father-in-law admitted that he'd not checked it, after disconnecting the mains-cable
Oh well. no harm done
And now, I know how well it accelerates, back into lane 1, dragging 1.5 tons behind it................... remarkably well!!!!^_^

1. Then it came back on, when I pulled the 13-pin plug out, back at the storage compound
I decided to disconnect the battery, whilst we ponder causes/solutions

Last edited:
Forgot!

(Sunday 24th)

On entering the ‘Tourer’ section of the site, this Buccaneer stuck me as slightly curious
Even with ramps, the angles look as though the extremities would strike?
Particularly the front, as the drawbar 'dips'

Still, if they like it enough to 'Put It On A Pedastal'!!^_^

108CA499-B0B4-4984-9884-5FCEC90D2221.jpeg

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
Collected this morning, & given overnight rain, not a single rotation of wheelspin from the Kodiaq, even with all 4 tyres on muddy/wet grass:okay:

It is displaying a puzzling 'fault' though.
The (LED) awning-light, above the door is staying on
- the master switches are 'OFF'
- the awning switch is 'OFF'
- the light went off, when I plugged the 13-pin plug into the vehicle socket:wacko: (1)

Then, we had to stop near the Murton Park Farming Museum/auction site, as one of the access-flaps hadn't clipped closed properly
And again, on the first layby of the A64, as the battery-box flap was open
Thankfully, not even the red-key for the motor-mover circuit hadn't fallen out

Father-in-law admitted that he'd not checked it, after disconnecting the mains-cable
Oh well. no harm done
And now, I know how well it accelerates, back into lane 1, dragging 1.5 tons behind it................... remarkably well!!!!^_^

1. Then it came back on, when I pulled the 13-pin plug out, back at the storage compound
I decided to disconnect the battery, whilst we ponder causes/solutions
The light being on is picking up +12v from somewhere, but the going off when connected to the car isn’t a fault, iirc there is a relay that switches over to the charging circuit/fridge supply from the car so that with the engine running it’ll charge the battery and run the fridge +12v supply, but goes back to the leisure battery when you switch off the ignition, as the fridge will kill your car starter battery in about 20 minutes, the leisure battery isn’t connected to the fridge .

The light being on is picking up +12v from somewhere, but the going off when connected to the car isn’t a fault, iirc there is a relay that switches over to the charging circuit/fridge supply from the car so that with the engine running it’ll charge the battery and run the fridge +12v supply, but goes back to the leisure battery when you switch off the ignition, as the fridge will kill your car starter battery in about 20 minutes, the leisure battery isn’t connected to the fridge .
Thanks we'll have a dig around
My initial thoughts, when the awning-light simply wouldn't turn off, was a faulty switch

Top Bottom