Trailers & 'BWSOW's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
From my files
17/6/2020

'Grab-Shot'
Taken by Amelia
Somewhere (southbound) between Dishforth & the A59 junction, of the A1

104549695_10221030954795835_7447624852933990536_n.jpg

Sat 14th

We’ve been over this morning to drain it completely, remove the battery (solar panel charger in shed), prop cushions up, fridge open etc…
And, wrap it up in an overcoat:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Saturday 27th

“Whoops!”
Either the wind was stronger than expected, or we didn’t use enough straps!

I got a call from the site security this morning, to tell me that it was hanging off
On arrival, on of the straps was caught around the TV aeriel, so up the step-ladders l went

I’m not a happy camper though, as some of the water that was pooled in the creases of the cover decided it preferred spill out onto the mats in the boot of my Kodiaq
So towels were deployed upon returning home , & one of those crystalline moisture traps will be left in for a few days

Last edited:
We’ve been over this morning to drain it completely, remove the battery (solar panel charger in shed), prop cushions up, fridge open etc…
And, wrap it up in an overcoat:rolleyes:

We decided to put the battery in the space under the steps to the side-door
It seems to be charging pretty well there, as the panel is south-facing
I'm not sure how it'll last though, if temperatures drop enough to freeze any snow/rain on it?

It may get transferred into the greenhouse, or a basement room?

DRHysted

Guru
Think I’ve finally got to the end of the list of jobs on the box (we’ll all I’m doing before next season anyway). Had to go older than I wanted so expected some work, then more little things showed up whilst we were away.
Other jobs cropped up along the way, like when I went to wire in the motor mover I discovered someone had already been there, so a little bit of re-wiring took place.

Attachments

• 462ABB5A-EBF3-4280-9D7F-D2E2F2A9400C.jpeg
    462ABB5A-EBF3-4280-9D7F-D2E2F2A9400C.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 889EEEE9-DEF6-4199-BA9C-6966355391CF.jpeg
    889EEEE9-DEF6-4199-BA9C-6966355391CF.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 9

DRM

Guru
For all of you with caravans, as well as draining the the water out of everything, don’t forget to leave all the taps open, as any residual water trapped in there will expand when it freezes and cause damage if it’s still sealed as the taps are left closed

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
For all of you with caravans, as well as draining the the water out of everything, don’t forget to leave all the taps open, as any residual water trapped in there will expand when it freezes and cause damage if it’s still sealed as the taps are left closed
Indeed and guess what fool forgot to do that before putting in storage !! Will need to arrange a visit asap !

Yes!

We also opened cupboards, & propped the cushions up
And, left the handbrake off; it's on a level ground ('road-planings'), & all legs are down

DRHysted

Guru
I’m new to wobble boxes, when storing the folding camper I only left one set of hot and cold taps open as the lines were connected. What is the benefit of leaving all the taps open?
I’ve had to leave the brake on as the storage has a slight decline (the camper being fractionally narrower fitted into the garden so it was on axle stands with the brakes off), so I intend to nip down and move it every month.

DRM

Guru
If you leave the taps closed when any trapped water freezes it expands, if the tap is closed the area where the water is can’t move within the pipe so when it expands the pipe can burst, it leads to broken taps, hoses and pipe fittings, and expensive repairs, just the same as if you have an external tap at home, you’d lag the pipe, imagine putting a bottle of beer in your freezer to cool it quickly, if you forget it’s there you’ll come back to find the cap has lifted off and frozen froth coming out of the top of the bottle

DRHysted

Guru
If you leave the taps closed when any trapped water freezes it expands, if the tap is closed the area where the water is can’t move within the pipe so when it expands the pipe can burst, it leads to broken taps, hoses and pipe fittings, and expensive repairs, just the same as if you have an external tap at home, you’d lag the pipe, imagine putting a bottle of beer in your freezer to cool it quickly, if you forget it’s there you’ll come back to find the cap has lifted off and frozen froth coming out of the top of the bottle
That explains why I always left one set of taps open in the folding camper, as the pipe work was connected I only left the bathroom taps open as if there was any residual moisture in the kitchen taps that freezes this would expand to the bathroom taps.
My question was why you stated “all” taps on a caravan, surely if the kitchen is left open any residual moisture in the shower or hand basin would vent via the kitchen.

DRM

Guru
That explains why I always left one set of taps open in the folding camper, as the pipe work was connected I only left the bathroom taps open as if there was any residual moisture in the kitchen taps that freezes this would expand to the bathroom taps.
My question was why you stated “all” taps on a caravan, surely if the kitchen is left open any residual moisture in the shower or hand basin would vent via the kitchen.
Because quite simply you can have water trapped in the kitchen sink lines, bathroom lines & shower lines, so if all the taps are open there’s no risk whatsoever of damaging the water supply lines in any of the water system

Top Bottom