Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
My single most hated "car job" is stripping off a door. Along with possibly doing anything on top of the pedalbox.

Im not a fan of interior trim jobs really. I need to strip out the centre console from my i40 to get at the back of the electric handbrake switch which is loose.

All in I can't see the attraction of the electric handbrake.

My mate had an old bubble shape fester that the window kept dropping on. After a few months of getting a wet arse we used tiger seal to stick the glass up.

I know, it's an absolute pain trying to work out where all the hidden screws and clips are, all I can say is I'm glad Youtube exists, I watched a couple of videos that helped to clarify the process.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After getting the 1998 V70R through it's MOT with a clean bill of health, not even an advisory, it was time to give the 1993 240 estate some attention. My MOT man recommended I replace the front brake hoses, so I ordered a pair and fitted them a couple of weeks ago. Of course, being Volvo, it has 2 on each side at the front, so another pair ordered and replaced today. The rears are corroded n the ferrules so I think I'll swap them out too.

Jameshow

Veteran
After getting the 1998 V70R through it's MOT with a clean bill of health, not even an advisory, it was time to give the 1993 240 estate some attention. My MOT man recommended I replace the front brake hoses, so I ordered a pair and fitted them a couple of weeks ago. Of course, being Volvo, it has 2 on each side at the front, so another pair ordered and replaced today. The rears are corroded n the ferrules so I think I'll swap them out too.

Stop it!! - you've made me look at Volvo estates in eBay!!!!

Gunk

Guru
Go on... Sell it to me?

I just don't feel I have the control I do with a propper brake. I'm the type that puts the handbrake on for a hill start or a red light.

It's good practice anyway, but I always point the wheels to the kerb on a gradient with the electric.

I haven’t got shares in an electric handbrake company so I’m selling anything, but with the DSG gearbox it just works perfectly, also it never creeps forward in traffic.

Jameshow

Veteran
I haven’t got shares in an electric handbrake company so I’m selling anything, but with the DSG gearbox it just works perfectly, also it never creeps forward in traffic.

DSG is a auto gear box so is a powershift....

VW electric brake Vs ford electric brake.......🤣🤣

gbb

Legendary Member

I say this tongue in cheek, I have no love or hate for Volvos, I only ever drove one...and was genuinely surprised how agricultural it felt.
This wasn't an old bottom range car, it was a directors car, one of those barge like estates, mid 1990s, possibly an 850 or similar. I wondered how a director drove it, it really did seem agricultural in feel. Lovely exterior and interior, just a strange driving experience

Jameshow

Veteran
I say this tongue in cheek, I have no love or hate for Volvos, I only ever drove one...and was genuinely surprised how agricultural it felt.
This wasn't an old bottom range car, it was a directors car, one of those barge like estates, mid 1990s, possibly an 850 or similar. I wondered how a director drove it, it really did seem agricultural in feel. Lovely exterior and interior, just a strange driving experience

I think that's part of the appeal....

They handle like nothing else apart from a Tory gov unwilling to u turn!

The 850 was a different car to the older 240 / 740 / 940 series car which is probably the car your thinking of.

The 850 became the V70 much more driver centred (for a Volvo not compared to a BMW) and was a revolution being fwd and using a legendary 5cyl engine turbo charged in the T5 and R versions.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....

I have a Capri in the garage too. Likely to find a Volvo cheaper nowadays..

I think that's part of the appeal....

They handle like nothing else apart from a Tory gov unwilling to u turn!

The 850 was a different car to the older 240 / 740 / 940 series car which is probably the car your thinking of.

The 850 became the V70 much more driver centred (for a Volvo not compared to a BMW) and was a revolution being fwd and using a legendary 5cyl engine turbo charged in the T5 and R versions.

My 93 Torslanda is the last of the 240 series. The only electric thing in it is the heated seats, and it is a wonderful car to plod about in, drives like a boat but yes, agricultural. That said, the 4 cylinder red block is renowned and at 185k mine is not yet run in. Fast forward 5 years, and the V70 is a world apart. Turbocharged 5 cylinder white block lump which is very tunable though mine is stock at 240bhp and will stay that way as the auto 'box won't take much more. Still has the most comfortable seats ever, is sensibly quick and eats miles with ease.

Jameshow

Veteran

My 93 Torslanda is the last of the 240 series. The only electric thing in it is the heated seats, and it is a wonderful car to plod about in, drives like a boat but yes, agricultural. That said, the 4 cylinder red block is renowned and at 185k mine is not yet run in. Fast forward 5 years, and the V70 is a world apart. Turbocharged 5 cylinder white block lump which is very tunable though mine is stock at 240bhp and will stay that way as the auto 'box won't take much more. Still has the most comfortable seats ever, is sensibly quick and eats miles with ease.

Never had a 240...

Had a 440 best forgotten....

940 possible best car I've had (= to VW caravelle)

850 2.0 dull gutless and totally unbustable.

V70 T5 and D5 Great cars, D5 as drivable at the T5 tbh with more torque.

XC90 d5 163 and 185, 185 with newer auto box transformed the drive. Amazing for long distance journeys. Most comfortable car I've owned.

Various heaps in between inc...

Audi A4 2.6 estate lovely car.

Reliant scimitar crazy impulse buy great fun though.

DRM

Guru

Had a 260 GLE Estate years ago, was one hell of a Q car, it would set of from the lights and XR3i, Golf GTi and the other hot hatches couldn’t shake off this huge Swedish barge, 3.0 V6 in it with overdrive, it didn’t even notice the big white shed on wheels when it was on the back, in fact it was keeping up with a 2.0 Mondeo going through Pateley Bridge towards Harrogate, up the hill with the BWSOW attached, it was very comfortable, actually built in Sweden too, unlike the 240’s that were built in Belgium I believe, the 850T5R’s grandad you could say

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Never had a 240...

Had a 440 best forgotten....

940 possible best car I've had (= to VW caravelle)

850 2.0 dull gutless and totally unbustable.

V70 T5 and D5 Great cars, D5 as drivable at the T5 tbh with more torque.

XC90 d5 163 and 185, 185 with newer auto box transformed the drive. Amazing for long distance journeys. Most comfortable car I've owned.

Various heaps in between inc...

Audi A4 2.6 estate lovely car.

Reliant scimitar crazy impulse buy great fun though.

My first Volvo was a 1998 V70, rather ploddish 2.5 10v. Followed up by a lovely 163bhp D5 XC90 Ocean Race which I sold to move house. The later 205bhp XC90 I bought new on a whim, so much quicker but a silly purchase if I'm honest.

Jameshow

Veteran
My first Volvo was a 1998 V70, rather ploddish 2.5 10v. Followed up by a lovely 163bhp D5 XC90 Ocean Race which I sold to move house. The later 205bhp XC90 I bought new on a whim, so much quicker but a silly purchase if I'm honest.

Nice the one I never had along with a v70r which are stupid money these days!! £10k

Top Bottom