Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I think the Aygo needs a new clutch. Changes fine, no slipping etc, but as I was moving the car tonight, it started screaching when the clutch was fully depressed. Slight noise with the clutch up but out of gear. No noises driving or when clutch partially depressed. Sounds like the clutch release bearing, but as the price differential between just a bearing and a repacement clutch is minimal - £40 bearing or £100 clutch kit, and it still needs all removing, might just stump up the extra as the labour cost will be similar. Expecting about £400 - 3-4 hours labour and £100 for the clutch kit. I shall see what the garage says. Something always 'breaks' after my son's been using it for a while. :whistle: I did check the dash cam footage, and he's not been doing anything daft. PS I'm not crawling under a car in Autumn for many hours !

Sallar55

Veteran
Yesterday up to the garage to see about a torn steering gaitor on the vito. Understaffed but said can order it and have it in an hour, sent me out to pick up a gearbox rebuild. Told me I can fix it with the shop tools, going back next week to check tracking when less busy.😁

Hicky

Guru
XC70 is playing silly b#ggers. I've twice come out to the car over the past two weeks to a flat battery.
Jump started and off I go all hunky dory for a while without noticing any reason for the drain.....both times the car has sat for a few days.
The last time this happened I noticed the rear tailgate courtesy light was on so out I jumped and closed the boot....no change. Removed the lamp. Viola I think I've solved it. Unfortunately the microswitch is in the innards of the tailgate lid and lock mechanism.
:dry:Dilemma....do I piddle about with it to try to correct it or just accept I have no light in the boot?:wacko:

Ps I've had a current clamp on the + feed and it's charging fine.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
XC70 is playing silly b#ggers. I've twice come out to the car over the past two weeks to a flat battery.
Jump started and off I go all hunky dory for a while without noticing any reason for the drain.....both times the car has sat for a few days.
The last time this happened I noticed the rear tailgate courtesy light was on so out I jumped and closed the boot....no change. Removed the lamp. Viola I think I've solved it. Unfortunately the microswitch is in the innards of the tailgate lid and lock mechanism.
:dry:Dilemma....do I piddle about with it to try to correct it or just accept I have no light in the boot?:wacko:

Can you get near any contacts - worth giving it a squirt with brake cleaner - it's great at cleaning electrical contacts.

Adam4868

Guru

Have you checked your battery isn't on the way out ?

Hicky

Guru
I'm almost sure the light is the issue. I had the tailgate window smashed 12 months ago and the replacement tech didn't remove the lower trim to cleanout the glass detritus which has always niggled me however the sun aged abs screams I'll snap every time I consider touching it.
I wonder if that could be another or is the issue down in the depths of the mechanism.

Last edited:

Sallar55

Veteran
Fitted swivel seats was going to use the ones out of the old van , never went to plan as they changed all the seat fixing centres on the newer one . Had to reroute all the seat electrics as well. 😩

PXL_20221016_122410265.jpg

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
I fitted a VW T5 double swivel seat to my old Renault master and still had a walk through.

Not done it to my current transit.

No need too on a green Goddess!

nagden

Über Member
I am having a nightmare with my 2004 Peugeot 206 1.4 hdi. After some starting problems I fitted a new starter motor. All went well then the battery light comes on. Test the output with a multimeter almost zero. Fit a refurbished alternator only to find it is producing zero volts. I even bought a new multimeter because I couldn't understand it. So now it is back to the shop.

Hicky

Guru
I am having a nightmare with my 2004 Peugeot 206 1.4 hdi. After some starting problems I fitted a new starter motor. All went well then the battery light comes on. Test the output with a multimeter almost zero. Fit a refurbished alternator only to find it is producing zero volts. I even bought a new multimeter because I couldn't understand it. So now it is back to the shop.

Can you spinup the alternator to see if it outputs voltage?

nagden

Über Member
Can you spinup the alternator to see if it outputs voltage?

Yes I have done that. Strangely unlike everything else in the car the terminals are easy to access. With the car running I have tested the alternator, positive lead of the meter to the alternator terminal and negative to earth. It reads zero. I did spin the old one up with an electric drill and that did give a minimal reading.
Thanks for your reply.

Jameshow

Veteran
Is you battery ok?

If your battery is flat or partially flat it won't produce and inducing current to start the alternator producing current.

Unlike a dynamo which is a permanent magnet arrangement which will produce current if simply spinned.

nagden

Über Member
Is you battery ok?

If your battery is flat or partially flat it won't produce and inducing current to start the alternator producing current.

Unlike a dynamo which is a permanent magnet arrangement which will produce current if simply spinned.

Thanks. I have not come across that. I have two batteries on the go at the moment and would say they have never been fully charged. I have put one on charge overnight and will try it out tomorrow. Thanks again.

Top Bottom