Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nagden

Über Member
Thanks. I have not come across that. I have two batteries on the go at the moment and would say they have never been fully charged. I have put one on charge overnight and will try it out tomorrow. Thanks again.

A quick update. Took the car to the car spares shop. They tested everything and concluded that the alternator was us. I will pick up a replacement Wednesday.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
New pads time for MrsF's car - they are OK, but as we're coming to winter and she's about to get 4 new tyres, might as well get it done. I've just picked up Bosch ones - was a little more expensive than no-name stuff. Picked up a tin of waxoyl under coat and gave the Aygo, jacking points/sil given a quick coat, and the same with my car as it needed a quick refresh. Very quick job considering it's so mild outside. Taped off the Aygo bodywork and a couple of coats applied, tape off and all done in about 15 minutes.

Hicky

Guru
Update, one A pillar is done. It is a fairly straightforward job but tedious. LOTS of scraping and sanding. Once the material is off there is some fibre wad which is bonded to the plastic....that had to be filed/sanded to achieve a good surface to glue to.
Spray glue, it went everywhere despite being careful:wacko: At first I thought the finish was going to be awful. Once the glue had dried overnight the uniform surface I hoped for....it isn't quite the beige I was looking for but I can replace it in the future if my efforts don't last long.
Cost,£8 for the material and £4 for a tin of spray glue:notworthy:

Attachments

• 4FFD2C41-419B-49C3-BFEC-D43F48CD8064.jpeg
    4FFD2C41-419B-49C3-BFEC-D43F48CD8064.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 2
  • B375AAB2-864F-4C16-9FE9-55456518C5E0.jpeg
    B375AAB2-864F-4C16-9FE9-55456518C5E0.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 4
  • DD78E122-B413-4A64-8D20-0470BF7227B8.jpeg
    DD78E122-B413-4A64-8D20-0470BF7227B8.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 2
  • E9E1FD4D-DDBC-481F-81F6-23BDE27FDF0C.jpeg
    E9E1FD4D-DDBC-481F-81F6-23BDE27FDF0C.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

fossyant

Front pads replaced so far. Would have been a quick job until the slider pin bolt head snapped off. Looked everywhere - It's only a M8 bolt, but is a fine thread. Eurocar parts, GSF Motor Parts, NISSAN and even screwfix and Machine Mart. Only Euro could order them in so they have ordered for 3pm.

Dug around in all the various car bolts, loads of M8, none with a fine enough thread. On arriving home, hmm, check the bike parts tray - blooming square taper BB bolt was just the job and it's high tensile steel so will be fine. Fractionally shorter, but it will be fine - £40 otherwise for a full kit of bolts, rubbers and slider pins. :whistle: Lunch hour wasted chasing a bolt ! Rears to do after work, then collect Aygo from garage (clutch bearing/clutch replacement).

fossyant

Aygo is back. Clutch Kit just short of £100 and labour £230 - they also freed up the clutch arm. It's super light in action now. Not bad for £330 all in (incl VAT).

Whilst I was there I asked if they had any 'spare' brake caliper slider bolts, they did and gave me two - a 1mm pitch (which is the correct one) and a 1.25mm. No charge. Happier as this is a little longer than a bike BB bolt. :okay:

Rear pads next but the weather gods mean it won't be this evening ! :rain:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Grrr. Grumbly grumbly on the front of the V70R with the dreaded wheel bearing drone. Was hoping to press it into my daily driver and take the 240 off the road to refresh all the rear suspension, but looks like I'll have to do these first. Thankfully the bearing/hub is a one piece bolt in assembly, bit of a PITA to do and at £150 a side not cheap. Mind you, when I see my work colleagues chucking £600+ a month on PCP plans etc for a car they'll never own it seems good value.

Jameshow

Veteran
Grrr. Grumbly grumbly on the front of the V70R with the dreaded wheel bearing drone. Was hoping to press it into my daily driver and take the 240 off the road to refresh all the rear suspension, but looks like I'll have to do these first. Thankfully the bearing/hub is a one piece bolt in assembly, bit of a PITA to do and at £150 a side not cheap. Mind you, when I see my work colleagues chucking £600+ a month on PCP plans etc for a car they'll never own it seems good value.

V70r nice beast! P1 or 2??

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
V70r nice beast! P1 or 2??

P80, 1998

Hicky

Guru
Lookers Stockport Volvo....I phoned the spare dept for a side repeater, 5 mins later after much background waffle n chatter he comes back on to say they don't do them anymore.....when I questioned it I was met with the response well m8 it is a 20 year old car!
eeerrrrm no m8 you need to work on your maths.
Seems like unless you have a sparkly new Volvo they aren't interested. I phoned a Volvo Indy a few mins from Stockport and viola "yeah we can get you one no problem, I wouldn't recommend a second hand one from the scrappy as the clips are known to be brittle and probably wouldn't last very long so go OE on this."
That's better!

fossyant

After the new pads on the Qashqai, we've just fitted 4 Michelin Cross Climate 2's. Bit spendy :ohmy:, but got £64 off and a free Lego Technic model !

Looking forward to whizzing past all the pretend 4x4's if we get any snow.

Hicky

Guru
After the new pads on the Qashqai, we've just fitted 4 Michelin Cross Climate 2's. Bit spendy :ohmy:, but got £64 off and a free Lego Technic model !

Looking forward to whizzing past all the pretend 4x4's if we get any snow.

Is a Qashqai a 4x4?:whistle:;)

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Lookers Stockport Volvo....I phoned the spare dept for a side repeater, 5 mins later after much background waffle n chatter he comes back on to say they don't do them anymore.....when I questioned it I was met with the response well m8 it is a 20 year old car!
eeerrrrm no m8 you need to work on your maths.
Seems like unless you have a sparkly new Volvo they aren't interested. I phoned a Volvo Indy a few mins from Stockport and viola "yeah we can get you one no problem, I wouldn't recommend a second hand one from the scrappy as the clips are known to be brittle and probably wouldn't last very long so go OE on this."
That's better!

FRF Swansea will get you anything you need, and usually well priced too.

Top Bottom