Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
That's a dynamo you describe an alternator works differently iirc.

Was going to say one DC, the others AC, iirc an alternator provides an even current supply, same principle, basically a generator, but @BianchiVirgin beat me to it, but really all it has to do is charge the battery, nothing more there’s no need for a smart alternator to cock things up

Jameshow

Veteran
Was going to say one DC, the others AC, iirc an alternator provides an even current supply, same principle, basically a generator, but @BianchiVirgin beat me to it, but really all it has to do is charge the battery, nothing more there’s no need for a smart alternator to cock things up

You haven't been inside of a car designers head!!

Tom B

Guru
The Lecky handbrake switch / auto brake switch has been loose since i got the car. Basically the Auto Brake momentary switch sticks due to the switchy bit being loose in the housing, if you dont spot it after you press it after a few mins it throws an error on the dash.

Had no intention of paying main stealer price for a new switch and scrappies / ebay wanted £50+ for some scabby examples.

Finally got around to popping out the trim, popping out the switch and was able to slip some glue and bit of plastic between the switch and the housing, then drove a hot pin through the plastics and snipped it off. Reassembled and it works a treat. I actually came out in profit as i found a grotty £5 note under the trim!

Next job is finding and curing an annoying rattle/run in the dash, hopfully it'll be a bundle of £20s rattling and identifying the knock on the front axle that i've let develop.

Then I need to get rid of the miss-matched ditchfinders fitted to the front.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Aygo has been parked up for a month at an angle (one side higher) and we've a very tiny drop of water in the boot under the carpet (50p sized). It has chucked it down over this time though. These are all known to leak (C1 and 107 as well) and over the last year I've traced all the leak points (high level brake light, light body seals, boot seal and even the bump stops). Noticed the sealing on the 'leaky side' of the bump stop wasn't so good so resealed again, then ran some silicone sealant around the whole of the boot seal as you can get some water creep. Let's see how it goes - was only a 10 minute job.

Hicky

Guru
The Aygo has been parked up for a month at an angle (one side higher) and we've a very tiny drop of water in the boot under the carpet (50p sized). It has chucked it down over this time though. These are all known to leak (C1 and 107 as well) and over the last year I've traced all the leak points (high level brake light, light body seals, boot seal and even the bump stops). Noticed the sealing on the 'leaky side' of the bump stop wasn't so good so resealed again, then ran some silicone sealant around the whole of the boot seal as you can get some water creep. Let's see how it goes - was only a 10 minute job.

Check the weather report and put some tissue paper at known points and inspect when the rain dies off...it could narrow down the search.:notworthy:

fossyant

Check the weather report and put some tissue paper at known points and inspect when the rain dies off...it could narrow down the search.:notworthy:

It's just one point below the rear driver's side lamp and the water settles in part of the boot floor moulding, so either the bump stop or indeed the light seal - that will be next to check. The amount of water is tiny though, so the old talc trick may be needed.

midlife

Guru
There was a leak around the boot spoiler on my Impreza. The garage locked someone in the boot for half an hour while they used a hose pipe on the boot.

Suffice to say it was one of the young lads in the boot with a torch and not the boss :smile:.

CXRAndy

Guru
There was a leak around the boot spoiler on my Impreza. The garage locked someone in the boot for half an hour while they used a hose pipe on the boot.

Suffice to say it was one of the young lads in the boot with a torch and not the boss :smile:.

Common leaks are around the tail light clusters. I did the same, but folded the rear seats down for access. Water was seeping in through the bolt holes on the lights. I applied silicon to these and all other mounting holes. Problem solved

fossyant

Common leaks are around the tail light clusters. I did the same, but folded the rear seats down for access. Water was seeping in through the bolt holes on the lights. I applied silicon to these and all other mounting holes. Problem solved

Yup, been watching those too. Had a reent mis-fire on my car recently, traced down to poor earth connection in the rear light cluster/loom as the car stands unused for ages, so you get some internal body sweatting in the boot. Older car but all canbus, and the earth for the fuel pump comes via the lights. All sorted now, brake cleaner, and WD 40.

CXRAndy

Guru
Yup, been watching those too. Had a reent mis-fire on my car recently, traced down to poor earth connection in the rear light cluster/loom as the car stands unused for ages, so you get some internal body sweatting in the boot. Older car but all canbus, and the earth for the fuel pump comes via the lights. All sorted now, brake cleaner, and WD 40.

My Impreza turbo was brand new 1997. kept it 11 years. Ruined the car, got sucked into the modding scene after early 2000s when it was all the rage. Had the car up to 500bhp, just far too much power. Everything else that goes with twin plate clutch, straight cut PPG gearbox, suspension, brakes, ECU/mapping. The parts just went on and on. Gave te car away to the engine builder in the end. Blew the engine after another mapping company sent a rod or two through the crank case on the rolling road. Successfully sued them- pay out recompensed me fully- lost interest after that, so dropped out of Subaru.

The Impreza for functionality, 5 seater, decent boot, saloon with speed and rarity-back in 1997 was fantastic(apart from 23mpg)

It was like owning an early Tesla for street cred.

gbb

Legendary Member
My Impreza turbo was brand new 1997. kept it 11 years. Ruined the car, got sucked into the modding scene after early 2000s when it was all the rage. Had the car up to 500bhp, just far too much power. Everything else that goes with twin plate clutch, straight cut PPG gearbox, suspension, brakes, ECU/mapping. The parts just went on and on. Gave te car away to the engine builder in the end. Blew the engine after another mapping company sent a rod or two through the crank case on the rolling road. Successfully sued them- pay out recompensed me fully- lost interest after that, so dropped out of Subaru.

The Impreza for functionality, 5 seater, decent boot, saloon with speed and rarity-back in 1997 was fantastic(apart from 23mpg)

It was like owning an early Tesla for street cred.

My SIL has a 2002 Imprezza WRX STI ProDrive, 320BHP iirc standard as the day it came out the factory, but its been off the road for maybe 7 years now. Its under covers but outside. I keep reminding him it's going to rot to oblivion but he is adamant its worth almost as much as he paid for it, even in it's current off road condition.
Cat, worth maybe £1500
Engine does need a rebuild but was functioning ok.
The Prodrive system, with its paperwork is probably worth £2k
Even parted out, he thinks he could get near to what he paid for it, being at the time, top of the range.

Top Bottom