Car Drifting ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Only utter w@nkers do this stuff on public roads...

View: https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/status/1353694432109985794?s=20
'

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's pretty cool. Watched a drifting expo at British GT racing before the races kicked off at Oulton Park a couple of years ago. The GTR's were incredible.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Drifting and generally ducking around keeps the insurance premiums prohibitively high for most teenagers.
And yes I was a teenager once and I drove appallingly.

D

Deleted member 26715

Drifting and generally ducking around keeps the insurance premiums prohibitively high for most teenagers.
And yes I was a teenager once and I drove appallingly.
I think you are incorrect there, ducking around yes but drifting no, name me 2 affordable RWD cars available to teenagers?

OnlyJen

Regular
Have you been borrowing Colin Furze's worlds fastest mobility scooter ?

Goodness me no,

Mine has much nicer go-faster stripes.

Jody

Stubborn git
One of my old school friends is a pro drifter and although it might look easy, it is far from it.

Seen below in his LS3 V8 powered Z4

1613577798654.png

There is joy to be found in pushing a car beyond the limits of its grip, riding the wave, holding it and coming out the other side.

However, in my increasingly curmudgeonly opinion, it takes a special type of massive prannock to do it as a form of expression. Gymkhana is literally dressage but with 2 tons of deadly metal instead of a horse.

Take it to a rally course, champ. No-one who is impressed with you burning out the clutch of your V6 Clio in the Tesco car park is worth knowing.

(I don't drive.)

There is joy to be found in pushing a car beyond the limits of its grip, riding the wave, holding it and coming out the other side.

However, in my increasingly curmudgeonly opinion, it takes a special type of massive prannock to do it as a form of expression. Gymkhana is literally dressage but with 2 tons of deadly metal instead of a horse.

Take it to a rally course, champ. No-one who is impressed with you burning out the clutch of your V6 Clio in the Tesco car park is worth knowing.

(I don't drive.)
(do you mean "don't drive .... any more"? or just not on the roads? )

Pretty much agree with all of that. It's good fun, but no more challenging than - say - juggling 3 balls. Adding horsepower is just adding more cost, noise and (sometimes) risk. It makes a good spectacle at something like a race meeting, but seems very wasteful and anti-social elsewhere.
The skill/buzz is exactly the same with a tuned 100cc go-kart. With which you can also actually race in a safe environment, for less than the cost of a reliable Scooby. Of course there is less dick-waving if you don't even have 100bhp ...

(do you mean "don't drive .... any more"? or just not on the roads? )
That's a long story. I don't have a licence, took lessons when 17, ran out of money before taking a test, life got in the way, then I acquired a medical condition that disqualified me, then I got medically cleared at the end of 2019, then covid :rolleyes:

I've raced karts, but mainly for fun, I was able to dominate most other people I encountered, including a friend who considers himself a speed demon and has gone to Knockhill on several occasions.

It's been a long time but I'd guess that over the years I've probably driven cars for less than 40 hours total, and karts for maybe 8 hours.
As such I am an excellent driver with a flawless record (apart from that time in karting where I exited a corner backwards but we don't talk about that...)

The skill/buzz is exactly the same with a tuned 100cc go-kart. With which you can also actually race in a safe environment, for less than the cost of a reliable Scooby. Of course there is less dick-waving if you don't even have 100bhp ...
If it weren't so hideously expensive and my body wasn't old and broken I'd consider getting serious about karting, it's stupidly fun.

Top Bottom