Car Drifting ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
When it gets out of control it will become the bane of peoples lives in the vicinity.
Pre this lockdown, we have an industrial estate 1/2 mile away and its been used most weekends by an ever growing posse , up to 100 people, tyres and engine screaming until sometimes 2am
This has been going on for maybe 6 years, I cant tell you the level of hatred for them locally, almost as much hatred for the local police who seem to refuse to do anything substantial, about them.
Show the slightest weakness and they (the drifters) will swamp you should you be unfortunate enough to get them in your neighbourhood.

D

Deleted member 26715

When it gets out of control it will become the bane of peoples lives in the vicinity.
Pre this lockdown, we have an industrial estate 1/2 mile away and its been used most weekends by an ever growing posse , up to 100 people, tyres and engine screaming until sometimes 2am
This has been going on for maybe 6 years, I cant tell you the level of hatred for them locally, almost as much hatred for the local police who seem to refuse to do anything substantial, about them.
Show the slightest weakness and they (the drifters) will swamp you should you be unfortunate enough to get them in your neighbourhood.
You sure this is about drifting not just being aerosols

Reactions: gbb

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Affordable?

Mine, sky blue 1200cc 60bhp, cost me £350 in 1978- nicknamed Hurdy Gurdy because it has a useless radio cassette with one speaker under the seat and one home recorded cassette [Fleetwood Mac- 'Rumours'] ... loved that car, even went snow rallying in it on forestry estate roads above Perth- luckily it stayed in one piece. I learnt how to control it on all surfaces and in all weathers... best car I've ever had just for the joy of driving it.
Don't know what the modern cheap and cheerful equivalent would be now... but there'll be one!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

View attachment 574419

Mine, sky blue 1200cc 60bhp, cost me £350 in 1978- nicknamed Hurdy Gurdy because it has a useless radio cassette with one speaker under the seat and one home recorded cassette [Fleetwood Mac- 'Rumours'] ... loved that car, even went snow rallying in it on forestry estate roads above Perth- luckily it stayed in one piece. I learnt how to control it on all surfaces and in all weathers... best car I've ever had just for the joy of driving it.
Don't know what the modern cheap and cheerful equivalent would be now... but there'll be one!
That must have been some highly tuned motor you had there, most 1200 were only about 35 BHP, my 1600 only had 68 BHP on the rollers. Always wanted a Beetle on the road, after 3 abortive starts (too much rust) I bought one last year, only kept it a couple of months, not my cup of tea at all.

winjim

Smash the cistern
However, in my increasingly curmudgeonly opinion, it takes a special type of massive prannock to do it as a form of expression. Gymkhana is literally dressage but with 2 tons of deadly metal instead of a horse.
Yeah but dressage was developed to train horses for battle. So half a ton of deadly meat.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
You're right Phaeton it wasn't 60bhp [that was our Polo], it was 40!!! It went downhill much better than up and rusted lfaster than a winter bike chain!

The floor pivoted pedals took a bit of getting used to but I loved that car... it was an integral part of my life. The rear wheel drive and narrow tyres meant it could get through any snow when others failed, except when the snow was deeper than the wheels and the front bumper turned into a snow plough!

Innovative design ideas made it 'special': like the putting the petrol tank in the front crumple zone... warm air heating direct from the engine which cooked the rear seat passengers, and the windscreen washer bottle pressurised from the spare wheel tyre; fine until you had a puncture and replaced the spare with a flat...

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
That must have been some highly tuned motor you had there, most 1200 were only about 35 BHP, my 1600 only had 68 BHP on the rollers. Always wanted a Beetle on the road, after 3 abortive starts (too much rust) I bought one last year, only kept it a couple of months, not my cup of tea at all.
A bit off topic i know but i never got the Beetle thing...slow, noisy, rusty, you name it ?
One colleague had one of the cars sold in the final couple years from new. It wasnt that old but rusted equally as well as the supposed carp cars from BL etc. Also underpowered and unreliable.
Another colleague had a much older one (6 volt system iirc), it broke down regularly...very regularly.

byegad

Legendary Member
Will they still be able to do it with an electric car?
yes

Yeah but dressage was developed to train horses for battle. So half a ton of deadly meat.
At least back then, killing people on foot was the intent and not a side-effect met with an indifferent shrug.
And there were countermeasures. Good luck uncarring a reckless driver with a massed pike formation.

tyred

Legendary Member
A bit off topic i know but i never got the Beetle thing...slow, noisy, rusty, you name it ?
One colleague had one of the cars sold in the final couple years from new. It wasnt that old but rusted equally as well as the supposed carp cars from BL etc. Also underpowered and unreliable.
Another colleague had a much older one (6 volt system iirc), it broke down regularly...very regularly.
It was really a late 1930s design that lived past it's best before date.

Compared to a sidevalve Ford or a Morris 8 or something it was far superior.

I suppose it's reputation combined with skillful marketing kept it in production much longer than it should have.

I'd still like one though, iconic, quirky, full of character and what I consider an interesting engineering concept.

What I would really love is the Tatra that the design was "borrowed" from but I will probably never be able to have one of those. So I would settle for a Beetle.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just think folks, it will be all electric soon and sound 'sheite' !! Just saying. I like the vroom vroom as we all do. F1, British GT, OMG the noise. :laugh:

D

Deleted member 26715

Ken Bock is a cut above, absolutely astonishing driver.
He is, he lacked a bit when he tried WRC, but he is top at what he does & the fact he won the Rallycross I suspect he's more suited to the short circuit stuff, that's not taking anything from him.

Top Bottom