Car drivers frustrated and insulted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Im a 55 man myself. Going quicker does nothing but waste fuel, add needless wear and tear, and gets you to the next roundabout or junction a bit quicker, where you usually end up having to stop anyway.

In the Volvo owners club (scotch eggs and picnic blankets optional) the XC90 owners forum is littered with people moaning about fuel economy, yet im cosistently getting 8 to 10 MPG more than any of them by the simple expedient of not drivng like a tool. People are incredibly thick and obtuse.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
ive done less than 2k miles in my car since the start of lockdowns last march as i work form home......fuel consumption is 55mpg ( according to the onboard computer) , which is pretty good and even if i did drive to work, the road i travel you cant get much over 35/40mph anyway. Even if i did detour up over the new heads of the valleys road, its currently at 40mph speed limit due to the roadworks and has been for the last 7yrs.......another reason why the comments made by the female driver, need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Oh and before this stretch was being worked on the old stretch from gilwern to abergavenny was being turned into a dual carriageway for 4yrs with the same 40mph speed limit, so thats 11yrs for 1 stretch of road having roadworks.......so again the female drivers comments are pretty useless to say the least, cause she was not driving that road at 10yrs old from ebbw vale to aber in 10mins lol

icowden

Veteran
When I was young and rash, I drove quickly. Then I got a car that helpfully tells you how much fuel you are consuming and boy does that stuff go fast if you too are going fast. I now drive sedately for fuel efficiency and safety. It's also a *LOT* less stressful driving a bit slower.

I think it would also be helpful in driving tests / tuition to teach the pupil that a faster speed, doesn't usually mean a significant saving in time. If you are urban or suburban you just get to traffic lights faster. If you are on the motorway, unless you are going a *really* long way, the time saving over say 80mph compared to 70mph is really small.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
It's people who drive too slowly that causes accidents..
Scenario: 2 slow drivers heading towards each other, nicely in the centre of their respective lanes, both sporting Pork Pie hats worn at a jaunty angle. 2 fast drivers approach from behind and just have to overtake, thus running into each other.
Had the slow two pulled over to let them past, no accident would have occurred.

Simples..

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It's people who drive too slowly that causes accidents..
Scenario: 2 slow drivers heading towards each other, nicely in the centre of their respective lanes, both sporting Pork Pie hats worn at a jaunty angle. 2 fast drivers approach from behind and just have to overtake, thus running into each other.
Had the slow two pulled over to let them past, no accident would have occurred.

Simples..

Tongue firmly in cheek 😂

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
"Better late in this life, than early in the next" is what my Auld feller told me.

And then as an encore he bought us a 416BHP car :wacko:
I don't know what 416BHP means. Is it a lot?

When my dad was advising me I was about to set off in a clapped out rusty Austin 1300 that got terrible vibrations above about 65mph

tyred

Legendary Member
I don't know what 416BHP means. Is it a lot?

When my dad was advising me I was about to set off in a clapped out rusty Austin 1300 that got terrible vibrations above about 65mph
To put it in perspective, your Austin 1300 would have had around 55 or 60 bhp in standard trim.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think so. The one time I drove it I put my foot on the loud pedal and thought I'd stood on a land mine :ohmy:

The 225BHP of my own car is much more sensible, and the 450NM makes it so relaxing just using a dribble of throttle to go anywhere.
I just googled my current car. It has 65 BHPs, whatever they are. I'm not sure about NMs.

I remember my dad's cautionary words to me when I set off on my first long drive after passing my test. "Don't be in a hurry, you won't get there any quicker"
So different to my old man, when I was very young and almost 50 years ago, he would challenge himself on how fast he could drive to Cornwall each summer holiday with the cousins. He'd pack us into the back of the Spitfire usually around 1 in the morning and wouldn't let off the accelerator until we pulled into our cousins village. He still drives like the devil's on his back and therefore apologies to anyone living near him. Same thing driving up to Nan's for Sunday lunch, doing a hundred up the Fosse Way was terrifying, especially when the fog lay thick across the dips in the road. Unfortunately I am my fathers son and my right foot only seems to have binary positions, on and off. Maybe when I hit 55 in a couple of years I'll take things a bit easier.

Top Bottom