Car drivers frustrated and insulted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
A road is being upgraded in Walesland and it seems some drivers are jolly upset because it will have a 50MPH speed limit for safety and air quality reasons.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-57615167

It's just unbelievable. I mean, how fast do they need to go? If they didn't keep crashing and dying then the speed limit might be a bit higher, so motorists led their own destiny with that one.

50MPH, in the grand scheme, is a phenomenal speed. Thatll take a driver from the outskirts of London to milton keynes in an hour, and in another 75 minutes onwards to Brum.

Why do some car drivers feel so self entitled, and why do the media persistently allow their views on safety - and their views on cyclists - to prevail?

Even electric cars are, in the grand scheme, polluting boxes of danger and societal expense, inconvvenience and disarray, and the sooner the government force the media to stop being a willing platform for cage pilots the better it will be for everyone.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm often struck by how much more pleasant an experience it is to drive when they impose 50 limits on the motorway due to works.

I drove London to Coventry and back at the weekend. A lot of the M1 was under a 60 limit and even that was an improvement.

A road is being upgraded in Walesland and it seems some drivers are jolly upset because it will have a 50MPH speed limit for safety and air quality reasons.

It's just unbelievable. I mean, how fast do they need to go? If they didn't keep crashing and dying then the speed limit might be a bit higher, so motorists led their own destiny with that one.

50MPH, in the grand scheme, is a phenomenal speed. Thatll take a driver from the outskirts of London to milton keynes in an hour, and in another 75 minutes onwards to Brum.

Why do some car drivers feel so self entitled, and why do the media persistently allow their views on safety - and their views on cyclists - to prevail?

Even electric cars are, in the grand scheme, polluting boxes of danger and societal expense, inconvvenience and disarray, and the sooner the government force the media to stop being a willing platform for cage pilots the better it will be for everyone.

So their problem is that after getting a new road paid for by taxpayers, which has gone vastly over budget they will be "forced" to drive the same speed as before to avoid killing themselves?

Boo hoo.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
So their problem is that after getting a new road paid for by taxpayers, which has gone vastly over budget they will be "forced" to drive the same speed as before to avoid killing themselves?

Boo hoo.
upgraded road, not new....i live not 30 seconds from the road, that has taken 7yrs to upgrade and have zero issues with it having a 50mph speed limit. there have been hundreds of deaths on that stretch of road over the years. So the upgrade to a dual carrigeway will stop cars doing u turns and trying to cross lanes for shortcuts that have caused the crashes in the past......also in stretches its, got blind corners and long swinging bends, so the limit is good in my eyes....

and by the way, a lot of my friends and family who also live within 2mins off this road, feel the same way

jowwy

ive bolded a bit.......i'm glad you stated some driver's, as not all of us feel the same way. 50mph on that stretch of road is fine, trust me. Seen too many deaths on that road as it is......

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
@jowwy Is my memory failing me or did the old road up the Clydach used to be 3 lanes (two each way and a suicide lane in the middle) or was it 4-lane?. I know the bit immediately before it (Abergavenny to Gilwern) used to be 3 lanes. I need to pay a visit to Abergavenny soon so I may drive up there just for old times sake.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Before the m25 was built, I had often discounted jobs in the Croydon area as the journey from the Dartford area would have been too long.

A long time after the m25 was opened, I took a job happily at Whyteleafe, knowing that a route using the m25 would get me there quickly.

But in practice, I found that conjestion on the m25 was so great and frustrating, that I started taking the narrow and slower country roads to get to work. Time wise it took about 10 mins long than a good day on the m25, but on a bad 25 day it was very much quicker.

Ironic that the route that had deterred me from getting a job in the Croydon area, actually became the route of preference.

After a settling in period, the country route also became cycle commute. It was a bit lengthy at 23 miles each way, but managed to do it a few times each week.

So I'm glad the m25 did get built as it took a lot of traffic away from my cycle route.

jowwy

@jowwy Is my memory failing me or did the old road up the Clydach used to be 3 lanes (two each way and a suicide lane in the middle). I know the bit immediately before it (Abergavenny to Gilwern) used to be like that. I need to pay a visit to Abergavenny soon so I may drive up there just for old times sake.
you are correct......you could overtake going up, but not coming down.....but that's what drivers did and that's what caused a huge amount of crashes and deaths. also at the gilwern end, there was a junction that you needed to use that meant you had to cross all 3 lanes to be able to drive upto brynmawr, that's been removed now and you have to go left onto a slip road ad down to the roundabout and back up. it will be safer now its duelled, but its still a steep bendy road, with blind bends

Last edited:

jowwy

@jowwy Is my memory failing me or did the old road up the Clydach used to be 3 lanes (two each way and a suicide lane in the middle) or was it 4-lane?. I know the bit immediately before it (Abergavenny to Gilwern) used to be 3 lanes. I need to pay a visit to Abergavenny soon so I may drive up there just for old times sake.
you will be amazed how much it has changed.......

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
you are correct......you could overtake going up, but not coming down.....but that what drivers did and that's what cause huge amount of crashes and deaths. also at the gilwern end, there was a junction that you needed to use that meant you had to cross all 3 lines to be able to drive upto brynmawr, that's been removed now and you have to go left onto a slip road ad down to the roundabout and back up. it will be safer now its duelled, but its still a steep bendy road, with blind bends
I remember that. I learned to drive in Abergavenny/Gilwern. It was an absolute doddle with few difficult hazards - apart from that! (Oh, and market days)

jowwy

I remember that. I learned to drive in Abergavenny/Gilwern. It was an absolute doddle with few difficult hazards - apart from that! (Oh, and market days)
i was born in gilwern.......lived there til 17 and then bought a house in abergavenny, before moving to were i am now in nantyglo

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
ive bolded a bit.......i'm glad you stated some driver's, as not all of us feel the same way. 50mph on that stretch of road is fine, trust me. Seen too many deaths on that road as it is......
Absolutely only some drivers. I own a car and, just occasionally, drive it on the road and I've no issue with bimbling at 50, because I am psychologically well adjusted and do not have to feed an atavistic desire to compensate for a sexual inadequacy by flying about and "dominating" other road users.

I'm quite happy to bimble along at 50, which is liable to flow better and be more likely to make an average speed close to that limit achievable. Far better that than being stuck in a 3 mile tailback at 70 because some selfish bellend doesn't know how to drive in a straight line.

Chuck in better fuel consumption, less wear and tear, reduced pollution and lower stress levels and it seems an utter no brainer to me.

Top Bottom