Car drivers frustrated and insulted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well that 21 year old driver is an expert of all of 3-4 years driving experience ! :laugh:

There are many roads in Wales that have had the speeds reduced for good reason. A 70mph dual carriageway between Talacre and Gronant in North Wales has been reduced to 40-50 MPH (depends which bit) and reduced to a single carriageway after a number of deaths, as there are side roads which crossed - one ended up with a whole family losing their lives.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Well that 21 year old driver is an expert of all of 3-4 years driving experience ! :laugh:

There are many roads in Wales that have had the speeds reduced for good reason. A 70mph dual carriageway between Talacre and Gronant in North Wales has been reduced to 40-50 MPH (depends which bit) and reduced to a single carriageway after a number of deaths, as there are side roads which crossed - one ended up with a whole family losing their lives.
the thing is she has only ever driven the road with the 40mph speed limit and 1 lane due to the works.....when it fully open she will see the benfits of the works

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
" The Welsh Conservatives feared the 50mph speed limit - rather than the 70mph limit normally adopted on dual carriageways - could increase congestion. "

I wonder if they could explain the mechanism by which this increase in congestion would happen.

I suppose they haven't said it would increased congestion, just that they fear it. And fear is irrational so needs no explanation.

mustang1

Guru
A road is being upgraded in Walesland and it seems some drivers are jolly upset because it will have a 50MPH
stuff deleted

Why do some car drivers feel so self entitled, and why do the media persistently allow their views on safety - and their views on cyclists - to prevail?

stuff deleted.
Those same media people are the car drivers. Self full filling prophecy and all that.

For a few months I had a contract working at a school over an hour drive away - mostly up the M6

I generally found that I was better off leaving 15 minutes early and driving at the same speed as the lorries - so 50-60 - in the inside lane and letting the far more important people whizz past at 70-90 in the outside lane - as they are clearly entitled to do. ;-)
I got into work 10 minutes before I would have arrived if I had stress out the whole way to keep my speed up to 70 but arrived far calmer.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Why do some car drivers feel so self entitled, and why do the media persistently allow their views on safety - and their views on cyclists - to prevail?
Probably because they are newsworthy. And if there is no news, then you can invent some by getting a random vox pop head to start spouting off.

Even if, as @jowwy pointed out, this isn't necessarily representative of local feeling. After all interviewing someone who says "having a safer road with a 50mph limit sounds like a good idea to me" is not news and doesn't stir up angst.

jowwy

there is a very limited police presence around this place....so you will get drivers doing their usual 70/80/90mph up or down that stretch of road, its just the nature of the beast where new wider roads are built

jowwy

its funny though aint it...on the bbc website they have interviewed the 21yr old girl about the road, she states " it used to take 10 mins to drive to abergavenny and now it takes 25mins".......now, she has never driven the road without road works, as its been 7yrs doing the upgrade, which means when they started she was 14. If it took 10mins, someone else was driving and its 11 miles from ebbw vale to abergavenny. The AA says it takes this long

1624873834072.png

so you can see the speed the person was driving at to get there in 10 mins

tyred

Legendary Member
The advertising for a new Audi promises endless fun and adventure and charging along deserted roads in your high tech German super saloon.

The reality is traffic jams and trundling along most of the time at speeds which could be achieved in a Ford Prefect so people feel frustrated.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The advertising for a new Audi promises endless fun and adventure and charging along deserted roads in your high tech German super saloon.

The reality is traffic jams and trundling along most of the time at speeds which could be achieved in a Ford Prefect so people feel frustrated.
Thqts a fair point, although the blade cuts both ways.

Ina recent incident here in Poshshire some 19 year old twit in a festa ST has had a nasty smash and badly injured his passengers. The Mailinati are foaming at the mouth about how this was bound to happen with a youngster in a powerful car, while overlooking the simple fact that he was doing 60 when he lost it and my Nan's olde Austin 1100 automatic could manage 60 with performance to spare.

It's not what's under the bonnet - its the loose nut behind the wheel.

tyred

Legendary Member
Thqts a fair point, although the blade cuts both ways.

Ina recent incident here in Poshshire some 19 year old twit in a festa ST has had a nasty smash and badly injured his passengers. The Mailinati are foaming at the mouth about how this was bound to happen with a youngster in a powerful car, while overlooking the simple fact that he was doing 60 when he lost it and my Nan's olde Austin 1100 automatic could manage 60 with performance to spare.

It's not what's under the bonnet - its the loose nut behind the wheel.
Absolutely correct, ultimately it is the driver's mindset but I find most older cars were more softly sprung and relaxing to drive whereas a lot of even quite basic modern cars feel like sports cars and encourage fast driving.

I have never found myself being aggressively tailgated and overtaken in a dangerous manner by a Morris Minor.

Top Bottom