car drivers that dont like the fact your getting somewhere faster.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monkeylc

Über Member
OK,
your biking to work say and flying through the traffic when some "person" sees that you are and decides to pull the car right over to the curb!
the mentality of some people....

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
You should be overtaking on the right. Stay out of the gutter!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
OK,
your biking to work say and flying through the traffic when some "person" sees that you are and decides to pull the car right over to the curb!
the mentality of some people....

I know this does happen, although its really rare for me to see it. On the occasions that I have experienced it it is fair to say that a motorcycle was in the offside and the car moved over to "help" the motorcycle without checking the inside line.

Filtering to the offside does remove this risk but I appreciate its not always possible, as the cycle path is on the nearside.

I actually find this more prevalent when on the motorbike especially at traffic islands where some drivers will stubbornly sit close to the island to stop motorbikes getting through on the offside and then glare at you when they finally crawl forward past the island and provide (begrudgingly) enough space to pass. The temptation to drop to the right of the island is very strong in those situations and I often feel that these drivers are trying to tempt you to break the law just to reinforce their opinion that all motorcyclist need their wings clipping.

These are the type of people who worry me., they go through life with poorly formed, bigoted opinions and cling to every opportunity to try and make their view of reality true. I work with a guy just like this, he makes unbelievable statements sometimes and expects everyone to agree but instead is met with blank stares and exasperation. He then stomps off grumbling that the world is going to hell in a handcart!

Its always someone else's fault. It cant be them that's wrong.

Norm

You should be overtaking on the right. Stay out of the gutter!
Indeed. Overtakers on the right, undertakers on the left, unless there are specific circumstances which prevent it and especially if you are 'flying'. A left hook, passenger ejection or sleepy pedestrian will make 'flying' all too literal.

Drago

Legendary Member
Filtering up the inside door zone, as close as possible to the kamikaze pedestrians on the path, through the most uneven and litter strewn part of the carriageway? Not for me thanks.

subaqua

What’s the point
What if it is? Cycle lanes are not mandatory, even the mandatory ones.

as RL says, the mandatory means mandatory for cars to NOT go in them. filter down the outside

Maylian

Veteran
It does make me laugh when I see cars doing this. I quite often see them move to the left when I'm in primary behind them (I imagine to block me) not realising that they've left a lovely safer passage on their right hand side :biggrin: :laugh: I do see a few cars trying to do the same in heavy traffic and it's even funnier since they forget how nimble bicycles can be...

Maylian

Veteran
but surely if you choose not to ride in the cycle lane you are likely to come a cropper as the car drivers wont be expecting you on the other side?

That is a risk which you'll always have to be cautious of, however you'll tend to find that car drivers are unlikely to get out of their cars in traffic. If it is heavy traffic you'll need to manage your speed and again if you're filtering between two lines of traffic be careful as you still run the risk of passengers getting out on your right and again pedestrians. But it is safer than being in the gutter with drain covers and curbs to contend with.

Top Bottom