car drivers that dont like the fact your getting somewhere faster.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

but surely if you choose not to ride in the cycle lane you are likely to come a cropper as the car drivers wont be expecting you on the other side?
That is generalising hugely, I'm sure that many here drive cars. However, going with it, 'car drivers' don't expect anything to pass on their left. On their right, they are expecting motorbikes, people jumping the queue to turn right ahead and cars coming the other way.

campbellab

It does make me laugh when I see cars doing this. I quite often see them move to the left when I'm in primary behind them (I imagine to block me) not realising that they've left a lovely safer passage on their right hand side :biggrin: :laugh: I do see a few cars trying to do the same in heavy traffic and it's even funnier since they forget how nimble bicycles can be...

Or, if it was me driving, they're deliberatly giving you more room on the right to pass and discouraging anyone from going up the inside :smile:

Lee_M

Guru
Cycle lanes are very often not only useless but downright dangerous. I only use them if:-
1. I've seen them before and know they don't put me in danger. AND
2. I know where it ends and how. AND
3. It is 1.5m wide.

So that's never.

I have one near me that fits all those criteria

Problem is its only 10 feet long!

Or, if it was me driving, they're deliberatly giving you more room on the right to pass and discouraging anyone from going up the inside :smile:

Trouble is that we are (in the main) experienced cyclists.

What we need to be looking at is the family cyclists, first time commuters etc who are probably more afraid of crossing the traffic stream twice than riding along the cycle path on the inside

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
at the end of the day there is no legislation stating how much room a car should leave between it and the curb. If there is room to filter down the inside I will, if not I'll wait in turn or, depending on the oncoming traffic, filter down the right hand side.

If i have to wait it's only going to slow me down for a few seconds or maybe a minute at most... expecting free passage with nothing slowing me down is a similar mentality to car drivers who 'must get in front of bike'.

Relax and share the road. Wait if you have to.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It's just another manifestation of Plugs, drivers whose sense of car-entitlement is thwarted by too many other people on the road imbued with the same sense of car entitlement, and who resort to ''if I can't go, you can't get in front'' tactics and plug up the available gaps. Many of them live in cul-de-sacs so that they can drive up to their front door but other people can't drive through. It's a literally dead-end way of life.

on the road

Über Member
You should be overtaking on the right. Stay out of the gutter!
Unless the motorist deliberately moves over to the right to stop cyclist overtaking on the right.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
This as well, sometimes I see them actively moving out of my way when I'm filtering which I really appreciate.
Then, at the risk of sounding patronising, be sure to let them feel your gratitude...take a moment to wave thanks.

You'll be amazed how chuffed that makes others feel. I often get a sense (in heavy traffic) that some drivers are "trying" to collect waves of thanks.They see me thank one driver then all begin to follow suit. Its almost awkward when you meet again later in traffic (inevitably) and repeat the relationship.

If you're close and slow enough a thumb's up and a wink makes others feel part of a privileged club.

I think this is a vital bit of communication. I know we have priority (legally) but as Malyian says in a nother thread, this knowledge is useless when tangling with a heavy motor-vehicle.

best not to take it for granted and appear self righteous.

Filter past on the right and give a thumbs up or a 'thanks' wave. Makes them think 'bugger, I messed that up' if they really were trying to block you. :smile:

PedalCat

I like sandwiches
Unless the motorist deliberately moves over to the right to stop cyclist overtaking on the right.
In rush hour after work i often overtake a queue of stationary cars easily, until we approach one of these:
800px-Bollards2742Canthusus.jpg

Very often the car that is alongside the bollard is 2 or 3 feet over to the right, leaving very little room for me on my bike. Maybe a few million of pounds of taxpayers' money should be wasted on investigating this bit of driver psychology.

Top Bottom