car drivers that dont like the fact your getting somewhere faster.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
monkeylc

monkeylc

Über Member
It's kerb unless you are suggesting drivers deliberately pull right over to watch Larry David? :laugh:

In fact how can a driver pull right toward the KERB, nearside? Surely you mean pull LEFT into the KERB?

Right over to the curb,not the right? read mate,

OP
OP
monkeylc

monkeylc

Über Member
too many replies to not understand .... Crank arm............................................

davefb

Guru
I don't wait to be given a chance, I make the decision about when to rejoin the flow of traffic. When the queue starts moving again, wait until the car 2 or 3 ahead starts moving and pick the gap you are going to take. Slow down and get into a good gear to accelerate again, take position next to 'your' gap as the traffic moves off then move left when your speeds are matched. It is not the driver's choice.

This does, as Andrew Culture alludes to, need confidence and practice, but I use it three or four times daily, even on my relatively short commute, and it works well. I think it helps that many now recognise that I'll get into town faster than them anyway, although that does loop back in a geometrically pleasing fashion to the subject of this thread.
gap?

I think the experience is also in 'which roads to take which approach', which tended to be 'which roads are you likely to find a gap again'..

Though for that specific road, my experience was 'go a different way' <-- to be fair the way I'd also cut thru as a driver :smile:

rb58

Enigma
I don't wait to be given a chance, I make the decision about when to rejoin the flow of traffic. When the queue starts moving again, wait until the car 2 or 3 ahead starts moving and pick the gap you are going to take. Slow down and get into a good gear to accelerate again, take position next to 'your' gap as the traffic moves off then move left when your speeds are matched. It is not the driver's choice.

This does, as Andrew Culture alludes to, need confidence and practice, but I use it three or four times daily, even on my relatively short commute, and it works well. I think it helps that many now recognise that I'll get into town faster than them anyway, although that does loop back in a geometrically pleasing fashion to the subject of this thread.
This ^ ^
For me, filtering down the right feels so much safer than down the nearside - even if it's a cycle lane. It makes me feel more part of the traffic and in the general consciousness of the car drivers - they expect bikes and scooters in that space. I'm generally faster then the cars for a good proportion of my route, so filtering back into primary is pretty straightforward when the queue of cars does start to move.

I often go down this road into Marsh Barton Exeter, nice cycle lane on the left with a chevronned gap to the traffic, on busy days I can see along way down the inside of the traffic to the next set of lights, I often see a car way ahead, pull in left into the cycle lane when they see me coming, very petty, I have learned to ignore it now
badhomburg.jpg

Norm

gap?

I think the experience is also in 'which roads to take which approach', which tended to be 'which roads are you likely to find a gap again'..
Yes, gap, as in the space between two cars. I've yet to be foiled in taking the gap of my choosing, acting as I described.

Top Bottom