car drivers that dont like the fact your getting somewhere faster.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
In rush hour after work i often overtake a queue of stationary cars easily, until we approach one of these:

Very often the car that is alongside the bollard is 2 or 3 feet over to the right, leaving very little room for me on my bike. Maybe a few million of pounds of taxpayers' money should be wasted on investigating this bit of driver psychology.

So what.

Statements like that are in effect similar statements we whinge and bitch about motorists. "the cyclist was in my way, should be in the cycle lane/path/off the road" etc.

PedalCat

I like sandwiches
So what.

Statements like that are in effect similar statements we whinge and bitch about motorists. "the cyclist was in my way, should be in the cycle lane/path/off the road" etc.
I disagree. There are good reasons for a cyclist to ride in primary position (or on the road at all), whereas "should be in the cycle lane/path/off the road " is just an ill-informed opinion. I have simply observed that many drivers veer off to the right, effectively teaming-up with bollards, when they could easily continue their line, not veering away from the near-side kerb .
If i was bitching/whinging i would complain that cars at rush-hour take up most of the lane and are too slow to be on the roads and therefore should not be in my way, but i'm not bitching/whinging because i don't mind sharing my road with motor vehicles.

StuartG

slower but further
The problem I have with being on the outside rather than the inside is, in heavy conditions, the motorist who does a quick unexpected right probably to beat oncoming traffic. No time to check their mirrors properly and they know no car or motorbike is to their right (no space, no sound). I can anticipate them in time stop/slow and avoid a collision through it still leaves you stranded in the middle of the road with no escape, traffic now moving faster than yourself to the left, oncoming fast traffic and you are no longer in control of your positioning.

Getting back into control can be challenging. On the inside and an equivelent 'fast left' as long as you can stop you are safe. You can restart in your own time.

Which means inside/outside is usually a function of knowing which is the greater hazard for a particular stretch of road.

MarkyMark292

OK,
your biking to work say and flying through the traffic when some "person" sees that you are and decides to pull the car right over to the curb!
the mentality of some people....

This happens to me quite frequently. I smile and simply go round them on the outside! :-)

Crankarm

Guru
OK,
your biking to work say and flying through the traffic when some "person" sees that you are and decides to pull the car right over to the curb!
the mentality of some people....

It's kerb unless you are suggesting drivers deliberately pull right over to watch Larry David? :laugh:

In fact how can a driver pull right toward the KERB, nearside? Surely you mean pull LEFT into the KERB?

davefb

Guru
The problem I have with being on the outside rather than the inside is, in heavy conditions, the motorist who does a quick unexpected right probably to beat oncoming traffic. No time to check their mirrors properly and they know no car or motorbike is to their right (no space, no sound). I can anticipate them in time stop/slow and avoid a collision through it still leaves you stranded in the middle of the road with no escape, traffic now moving faster than yourself to the left, oncoming fast traffic and you are no longer in control of your positioning.

Getting back into control can be challenging. On the inside and an equivelent 'fast left' as long as you can stop you are safe. You can restart in your own time.

Which means inside/outside is usually a function of knowing which is the greater hazard for a particular stretch of road.

(back when I commuted :sad: ), the reason I didn't like the right was that when the traffic set off again, it wouldn't give me any chance to get back, so I felt very vulnerable being on the right with people flying down my left hand side..
So I'd almost exclusively filter slowish on the left... I'd also had a stupid woman give me no room at a bollard due to her being more bothered about her texting than driving :sad:

mind you, watching cyclists do this to me(filter past at 15mph as I'm crawling along at 10), was why I bought a new bike in the first place!!

henshaw11

So what.

Nope - it's simply good road manners, such as leaving a gap from traffic to get in and out of an adjacent junctions, and not sitting across roundabouts blocking other people's entry and/or exit. And it's not just for the benefit of bikes but motorcycles too (well, ok, their riders..)

Bearing in mind the a.c.p.o guidelines to their bods on the beat that "cyclists should only be prosecuted for riding on a pavement IF they are causing a danger to other pavement users" i have no problem banging
my mountain bike up a kerb onto an empty pavement to avoid pinch-points, etc.

I will stay on the road if there are any pedestrians on the pavement.

Some will say i'm giving all cyclists a bad name.
Really?
Is it bad that the actions of one person can tarnish the entire cycling reputation of the world?
Damn, so that guy i saw jumping a red light this morning in his car has also given me a bad name
as a fellow driver!

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Bearing in mind the a.c.p.o guidelines to their bods on the beat that "cyclists should only be prosecuted for riding on a pavement IF they are causing a danger to other pavement users" i have no problem banging
my mountain bike up a kerb onto an empty pavement to avoid pinch-points, etc.

I will stay on the road if there are any pedestrians on the pavement.

Some will say i'm giving all cyclists a bad name.
Really?
Is it bad that the actions of one person can tarnish the entire cycling reputation of the world?
Damn, so that guy i saw jumping a red light this morning in his car has also given me a bad name
as a fellow driver!

Yes, you're giving cyclists a bad name. Empty pavement or not, you should stay on the road.

Yes, you're giving cyclists a bad name. Empty pavement or not, you should stay on the road.

A road i commute along splits from one lane to two, just before some traffic lights.
Often cars wanting the left lane "bump up the kerb" to get past the queue in the right lane.
Have these few motorists given all drivers a bad name? No.

Forget about riding as per the highway code, trying to set a perfect example to others and thinking that
everybody you pass is watching you like a hawk ready to hold up some score cards ... nowadays
its about personal safety.

As i said, if i have a situation where i could come into conflict with traffic and an empty pavement that
can be used for a few meters, i will choose the pavement.
(Stopping and looking before re-joining the road i must add).

Norm

(back when I commuted :sad: ), the reason I didn't like the right was that when the traffic set off again, it wouldn't give me any chance to get back, so I felt very vulnerable being on the right with people flying down my left hand side..
I don't wait to be given a chance, I make the decision about when to rejoin the flow of traffic. When the queue starts moving again, wait until the car 2 or 3 ahead starts moving and pick the gap you are going to take. Slow down and get into a good gear to accelerate again, take position next to 'your' gap as the traffic moves off then move left when your speeds are matched. It is not the driver's choice.

This does, as Andrew Culture alludes to, need confidence and practice, but I use it three or four times daily, even on my relatively short commute, and it works well. I think it helps that many now recognise that I'll get into town faster than them anyway, although that does loop back in a geometrically pleasing fashion to the subject of this thread.

Top Bottom