Car emissions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

No. Have a look at the article.
I have. It tested two old cars, one of which was knackered.

Last edited by a moderator:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
From May 2018 cars over 40 years old won't even need to pass an MOT test, let alone emissions test.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/mot-exemption-cars-over-40-years-old-arrives-may-2018
I really don't get this. So an old car with old brakes and many other old components doesn't have to have an MOT. I know it's still a requirement for the owner to ensure it is roadworthy, but surely that's relying too much on guesswork rather than mandatory, regulated tests carried out by professionals?

U

User482

[QUOTE 5008156, member: 9609"]the choice is yours,
1) you can believe an independent emissions analytics expert from Oxford,
or
2) you can believe the giant multi national car manufactures who have a vested interest in producing low pollution figures.

it's a difficult one....[/QUOTE]
I believe the independent experts who have tested hundreds of vehicles, and the data from real time and diffusion tube air quality monitoring. I work with experts on this, and am familiar with the research, so give the sarcasm a rest.

U

User482

[QUOTE 5008196, member: 9609"]and by all accounts this person has tested a great many vehicles, that is why he was used within the test. He seems to be a well respected expert in this field, until I something that contradicts his findings then I'm erring on his side - I certainly don't believe the multi national car companies.

You say you work with experts in this field, so show us their data and show us how that contradicts the BBC article.[/QUOTE]
There is nothing wrong with the data, but the point is that it's just two old cars of unknown provenance. You can't draw any wider conclusions from such a limited sample.

Any cars over 40years old
I really don't get this. So an old car with old brakes and many other old components doesn't have to have an MOT. I know it's still a requirement for the owner to ensure it is roadworthy, but surely that's relying too much on guesswork rather than mandatory, regulated tests carried out by professionals?
A 40 year old car is unlikely to have 40 year old brakes. The thinking is a car that old will be well looked after by an enthusiast owner, quite conceivably better maintained than a 10 year old car which has just enough done to it to pass an MOT I can't see many cars that age doing many miles either and it can still go through the test on a voluntary basis. I can actually see the insurance industry wanting some sort of test.

Stephenite

Membå
Survive to 2040, and if we still have Theresa May in charge, then toxic vehicles will not be on sale.

Cough cough.
2040! ..cough, splurt..

So typical of the UK leadership to pass on the problem to others. In this case the next generation. Gove, May, etc will very likely have died of old age by 2040.

The UK is well behind when it comes to phasing out fossil fuel powered cars. Norway have set a target for 2025. Germany and Holland by 2030. India 2030. In China - Volvo have set a target for 2019 - and, indeed, the chinese are being urged to delay their conversion to electric by car manufacturers. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...e-impossible-electric-car-rules-idUSKBN19Y1RC

Stephenite

Membå
I don't know where things are going. Maybe all electric, maybe hybrid hydrogen and electric. But the diesel and petrol days are numbered.

Regarding GDP - i read somewhere that India reckons it loses 3% GDP due to deaths from present day vehicle pollution.

Personally - I'm hoping to buy an electric car in the not too distant future. Tomorrow, though, I have to do an eight hour return trip to the 'summer cottage' to close it down for the winter. In fact, i'll be driving the trusty old diesel Passat for closer to ten hours tomorrow because i have to take the kids to a birthday party before the Telemark trip. Sensibly, I took the time to swap over to winter tyres today.

Diesel and petrol days are not numbered because of regulation. They are numbered because of technological disruption. The advent of cheap, lightweight, durable, quick-charging batteries is the primary driver and the secondary driver is the development and mass deployment of photoelectric cells.
The latter will decentralise the electrical grid and drive down the cost of electricity. The grid as it is cannot handle a switch-over to electric vehicles.

Vehicle autonomy will be a nice side effect of all this which will drive vehicle ownership away from the individual into the collective.

Particulates in the air is caused primarily by soot and NOXs but also from brakes. Electric cars will have none of this, since braking will mostly come from battery regeneration rather than friction components that waste energy.

The best way to discourage fossil fuel cars to hang in there is to promote the development of the decentralised grid, put new technology in the public domain (in other words, don't patent it) and create incentives for battery manufacturing super factories.

The transport future is electric and autonomous and on-demand (cars will never sleep or park but always roam and work) whilst every building and bit of infrastructure will generate electricity and store it locally in electrical energy banks or battery walls.

Peak fossil will be by 2020 or shortly thereafter and meaningful decline 2030. Legislation or sentiment will have a negligible effect on these landmarks.

This development will cause world-wide political and industrial disruption. We're saying good-bye to a new wave or horse breeders, farriers, blacksmiths and the like.

Bring it on.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Particulates in the air is caused primarily by soot and NOXs but also from brakes.
Electric cars will have none of this.....
Not forgetting the millions of tons of tyres that wear away and end up polluting the environment every year.
Electric cars still use tyres.

Top Bottom