Car emissions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OK. The cost of the car then.

That's easy. History tells us that new technology is expensive at first and then soon reduces as manufacturing efficiency improves. The lowest cost is when the technology is mature and big improvements can no longer be made. Electric will be cheaper per mile than petrol/diesel. Much cheaper. Right now they are expensive but that's no big deal. A bunch of rich early adopters will still buy them and iron out the problems for us late adopters and laggards. Electric cars have about 200 moving parts whereas an ICE car has about 1500. Running cost and manufacturing cost is therefore less. Life expectancy is higher. So high in fact that the average individual cannot reasonably take it from new to scrap before it becomes technologically obsolete. A little bit like a cellphone. They last longer mechanically than what they're worth technologically, hence us no longer even bothering with replaceable batteries in them. This will therefore make the electric car ideal for pool ownership and thus zero capital outlay for the traveler. They will probably never stop driving, going from job to job until they are scrapped. This reduces parking requirements and frees up the city for us humans. This has a cost element too and it will trickle down to you.

If you can't afford electric travel now, you soon will.

Last edited:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Electric will be cheaper per mile than petrol/diesel. Much cheaper.

If you can't afford electric travel now, you soon will.

I doubt whether HMRC will allow that to happen.;)

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
HMRC will have just a little bit of control over it. The grid will be decentralised. You will be able to choose whether or not you want your self-generated electricity to go into the grid or not.
I'm sure they will find some way of clawing back the dosh. One thing is for sure; motoring won't get any cheaper.

I'm sure they will find some way of clawing back the dosh. One thing is for sure; motoring won't get any cheaper.
That's a tax issue. Taxation can shape the future of travel as it often has in the past. Just look at the change of balance between diesel and petrol, and now, the attraction to small cars that don't attract annual taxes. However, taxation cannot over-rule technology. The issue of "motoring" will be come moot. It will largely disappear.

I would imagine that there would be a saving to the fiscus if fossil fuel disappears. Economists can chip in, that's not my forte. However, there will be a saving too. Less health problems and fewer road accidents and disruptions.

At what capital cost though?
My present vehicle has a range of over 600 miles. When do you reckon I'll be able to buy an electric car with a similar range, capable of towing a caravan, at a comparable purchase price, with a comparable ease of refuelling?
EV's are easier to 'fuel'. Ours gets plugged into the house. Even my wife can set the timer for starting a charge, or via an app. It can be recharged while we're asleep. No smelly diesel or very flammable petrol to deal with, or the queues at the local supermarket. But ours only gets used for local journeys. We looked at what it actually gets used for and bought on that basis.
Caravans should be banned from the road anyway as they increase fuel consumption and emissions :evil:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
EV's are easier to 'fuel'. Ours gets plugged into the house. Even my wife can set the timer for starting a charge, or via an app. It can be recharged while we're asleep. No smelly diesel or very flammable petrol to deal with, or the queues at the local supermarket. But ours only gets used for local journeys. We looked at what it actually gets used for and bought on that basis.
Caravans should be banned from the road anyway as they increase fuel consumption and emissions :evil:
I can refuell my current vehicle on a long journey without having to resort to a sleepover.
As for the caravan comment? You obviously haven't thought that one through.

I can refuell my current vehicle on a long journey without having to resort to a sleepover.

Yes, of course you can. Remember the good old days when we all had telephones we never needed to charge?
I was too young to remember whale oil streetlights, but apparently those were really cool too.
C'mon Dirk. Your world is changing around you. Enjoy it.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Yes, of course you can. Remember the good old days when we all had telephones we never needed to charge?
I was too young to remember whale oil streetlights, but apparently those were really cool too.
C'mon Dirk. Your world is changing around you. Enjoy it.
No need for the sarcasm.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom