Car emissions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Doesn't bother me as I try to avoid the place like the plague, but I do feel it's a tickbox exercise, if they were really serious they would start by demanding all Buses, HGV's & them god awful Black cabs are electric by the year end.

Government cannot move faster than technology. Of course you can ban fossil fuels at the stroke of the pen but what would that help. Governments slowly put pressure on things so that perceptions, investment and flow of attention changes.

D

Deleted member 26715

Government cannot move faster than technology.
Agreed but why are the Black Cabs still running diesel? They could have easily said 5 years ago all cabs running in London MUST be electric by 20xx

Agreed but why are the Black Cabs still running diesel? They could have easily said 5 years ago all cabs running in London MUST be electric by 20xx
Because 5 years ago no-one had an idea of the various pieces that would have fallen into place, as they have now. 5 Years ago electric cars was seen as deeply futuristic. However, now what technology and industry is moving in the right direction with an inevitable outcome, it would be prudent to outlaw ICE taxis within 5 years. Like I said, governments and legislation cannot move faster than technology. It can be encouraged, but not dictated.

D

Deleted member 26715

The
Because 5 years ago no-one had an idea of the various pieces that would have fallen into place, as they have now. 5 Years ago electric cars was seen as deeply futuristic. However, now what technology and industry is moving in the right direction with an inevitable outcome, it would be prudent to outlaw ICE taxis within 5 years. Like I said, governments and legislation cannot move faster than technology. It can be encouraged, but not dictated.
The technology was there 5 years ago it was the will that wasn't, go to the US & see how many Pruis's are being used as taxi's

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Would the roof of a caravan not be the place to mount an array of PV panels with a bunch of batteries mounted low down on the chassis so that the caravan powers the car extending its range.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Would the roof of a caravan not be the place to mount an array of PV panels with a bunch of batteries mounted low down on the chassis so that the caravan powers the car extending its range.
Then you'd need a bigger, heavier vehicle to tow it, as the caravan would be considerably heavier than before.
You'd just end up chasing your tail.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I'm thinking you'd add maybe 150 Kg to the caravan for the chance to generate around 2Kw/hr.
Then you might run into weight issues with the van, which would entail a heavier duty chassis, suspension etc. all of which would add weight. As I said, it could end up as a tail chasing exercise.
Catch 22.

Excellent. Another good reason to avoid London.

Good, that's the point of it.

U

User482

All new black cabs will be electric from next January, I think. This is in London.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about 4 years ago? https://www.zap-map.com/electric-taxi-company-clocks-100000-miles-in-nissan-leaf/ They've had a Leaf since 2013
Can't find the article but sure I've read of a company buying more as they had just clocked up 175000 miles. I would have thought it easier to go electric in the Capital, to put charge points at all the stands than elsewhere. It takes the will power to do it but if Boris did bikes and buses why not black cabs too?

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
[QUOTE 5010721, member: 9609"]the whole ethos behind electric vehicles is environmental awareness - towing an oversized toilet box many hundreds of miles across the country behind a car doesnt sit too well will environmental awareness[/QUOTE]
Not just caravans.
How about horse boxes, race car trailers, boat trailers etc.
There is a huge industry involved in the manufacture, sale and servicing of all these leisure trailers.
If I was working in any of these trades, I would be seriously worried about the threat to my job from the EV lobby.

[QUOTE 5010721, member: 9609"]the whole ethos behind electric vehicles is environmental awareness - towing an oversized toilet box many hundreds of miles across the country behind a car doesnt sit too well will environmental awareness[/QUOTE]

Yes, electric is about reducing pollution, if the source of the electricity is clean. Presently it is not. Towing a caravan creates less Co2 than a flight to Europe. Once the car is clean (electric and solar, say), then towing a caravan has a zero carbo/Nox footprint and the van can be as heavy as the car can handle.

subaqua

What’s the point
There are massive developments in EV power sources . Sadly my NDA means can't tell you what , but I am very very impressed . Lots still at prototype stage , but viable .

Top Bottom