Car emissions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Electric cars are able to transfer power and control slip to a much finer degree than ICE driven cars, so they are lighter on their tyres AIUI, slightly mitigating the amount of rubber deposited per km.
But aren't electric cars generally heavier than an equivalent ICE version, thereby increasing tyre wear?

screenman

Legendary Member
But aren't electric cars generally heavier than an equivalent ICE version, thereby increasing tyre wear?

Toyota Prius has come standard with the low resistance Goodyear Integrity. But those tires are notorious for wearing out fast, and that’s not the only compromise. “You can get a tire that will give you better mileage, but you are going to give something up,” Matt Edmonds, vice president of tire discounter Tire Rack told Automotive News. “Typically that would have meant stopping distance, handling in wet conditions.” (Toyota picked the Toyo Proxes A20 for 2010 Prius premium “V” trim, and the Highlander Hybrid.)

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Toyota Prius has come standard with the low resistance Goodyear Integrity. But those tires are notorious for wearing out fast, and that’s not the only compromise. “You can get a tire that will give you better mileage, but you are going to give something up,” Matt Edmonds, vice president of tire discounter Tire Rack told Automotive News. “Typically that would have meant stopping distance, handling in wet conditions.” (Toyota picked the Toyo Proxes A20 for 2010 Prius premium “V” trim, and the Highlander Hybrid.)
I do know that my Prius was incredibly gentle on the OE Michelin tyres*, and tbh, given the (lack of) performance, they were entirely satisfactory in all regards.

*45,000 miles gentle, way more than any other car I've ever driven.

Levo-Lon

Guru
[QUOTE 5008797, member: 9609"]If everyone drove a little slower there would be less emissions, there would be less brake dust less rubber dust less accidents. Problem is everyone wants to drive fast and fast always seems to be the solution

but never mind all the dangers around road works is soon to be sorted - we are going to be allowed to drive through them faster, caus it will be safer. :wacko:[/QUOTE]

We have the logic of traffic calming , these cause More pollution.

screenman

Legendary Member
I do know that my Prius was incredibly gentle on the OE Michelin tyres*, and tbh, given the (lack of) performance, they were entirely satisfactory in all regards.

*45,000 miles gentle, way more than any other car I've ever driven.

I only copied and should have said that, certainly you did very well from yours.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Experts...ffs
Even a poorly educated thickie like me knows the human race wont fix this.
We shall be all breathing all manor of nasty toxins until we die out, which wont be too long.

2-300 years should see us off with a bit of luck .much sooner if possible then the world will have a chance to flourish again, tho that may take a few thousand years to balance out

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Slightly, but not to the degree one might expect. I think that the one more than compensates for the other, but I'll go and have a google in one of my idler moments!
A quick Google throws up a figure of anywhere between 20% - 30% heavier; combined with a lower range between fill ups compared to an IC car.
To get a comparable range, the vehicle would have to have more/larger batteries, thereby increasing it's weight further.

A quick Google throws up a figure of anywhere between 20% - 30% heavier; combined with a lower range between fill ups compared to an IC car.
To get a comparable range, the vehicle would have to have more/larger batteries, thereby increasing it's weight further.
Within 30 months electric cars will have a range of 260 miles on the same weight/size batteries as today's electric cars.

Not forgetting the millions of tons of tyres that wear away and end up polluting the environment every year.
Electric cars still use tyres.
Tyres contribute less than 1% of current particulate levels in city air. Reducing the big sources first will give us some breathing space for now.

Electric cars are able to transfer power and control slip to a much finer degree than ICE driven cars, so they are lighter on their tyres AIUI, slightly mitigating the amount of rubber deposited per km.

Slip accounts for a very, very, very small percentage of tyre wear. I would guess that the most slip occurs with double-wheeled trucks making small radius turns. With modern ESP and ABS, I would think slip isn't a pollution contributor with today's cars at all.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Within 30 months electric cars will have a range of 260 miles on the same weight/size batteries as today's electric cars.
At what capital cost though?
My present vehicle has a range of over 600 miles. When do you reckon I'll be able to buy an electric car with a similar range, capable of towing a caravan, at a comparable purchase price, with a comparable ease of refuelling?

At what capital cost though?
My present vehicle has a range of over 600 miles. When do you reckon I'll be able to buy an electric car with a similar range, capable of towing a caravan, at a comparable purchase price, with a comparable ease of refuelling?
What do you mean by capital cost? Your cost or the cost of new factories?

I have no idea regarding the other questions. I'm not defending electric and I am still thinking through many of the issues. I just see an event unfolding that I'll be very happy to see unfold completely in my lifetime. It will be the biggest disruption since the horse and it is great watching all the pieces fall into place.

But now thinking a bit about your requirement for range (lets leave your caravan at home for now) it may pan out like this: Since the autonomous car not owned by the individual is a likely scenario, we'll all be relying on pool cars. Forget about the ownership of the pool for now. That means you will be able to hop from pool car to pool car and have an unlimited range. Your long trip will just become a relay, says my crystal ball.

I have been fortunate to witness two giant technological disruptions in my life. I worked for a newspaper when DTP was invented and put hundreds of people in our paper out of work. I also witnessed the demise of the AT&T type telecomms company through cellular and Internet. However, I think both these will prove to be minor compared to what will happen within 15 years.

I think within 5 years the issue of inner city pollution will be no more threatening than the issue of inner city horse poo in 1904. There was a stage when it was predicted that the streets will become mountains of horse dung. Then Henry Ford came onto the scene and swept it all away. There are photos of New York where it is difficult to spot a car in the traffic, and three years later it was difficult to spot a lone horse in the same scene.

Top Bottom