Car Fashions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Went like stink so she says.
Car or boyfriend?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
My Dacia Logan is cheap to buy, cheap to run, reliable, comfortable and has a boot far bigger than many other larger cars. Proving that modern cheap cars are ‘quality’ items in most respects. Though it ain’t a looker.
I don’t understand that if expensive cars can be penned ugly, why basic cars can’t have a little more visual appeal? Surely good basic visual design cost the same as poor design?

I had an Alfa Guilia hire car last week to drive across the Italian hills from Rome to the Adriatic. From the outside it looks beautiful (as an Alfa should), but the interior was dull as ditchwater and despite rave reviews was a bit of a dog to drive. A Ford Focus would have been better.

Soz, bit off-topic!

Last edited:
Notice the size of the windows? The light floods in and you can see out, in all directions. My biggest gripe with modern cars is the lack of visibility from the inside out.

SAAB created massive A pillars that looked slim because they were angled to maximize driver visibility...in 1980s.

Now you have rear windows that appear to be much larger than they actually are, by glazing over metal. Driver visibility is simply not a thing these days.

Does anyone know any good Opel Manta jokes. They were the German equivalent of Ford Capri with the same style of open shirt, medallion-wearing driver.

GilesM

Legendary Member
My dad had a Cortina 1600E MK2 when I was born in 1970, and he was in his mid 20's at the time. Had a Capri Mk2 after

That was a very cool car, my first car was a Mk2 1600 without the E, it was definitely not the same.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
F588FA58-C22C-4912-B66F-4DDB4B82AF77.jpeg Back in the mid 1990s, I fancied a vauxhall Tigra but couldn’t afford one. They were a new car out, back then so even a used one was out of reach for me.

Bought one on Sunday. Worth the wait.

I don’t know, or care, whether or not they are in vogue. I can just get a bike (wheels off and stashed behind seat) in there. I love it.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Yes, in the latest series of the Grand Tour - an excellent tribute to the "mid sized Ford".

My dad had Mk 1, 2, and 3 Cortinas, but then switched to Austin Maxis...and at one point, an Austin Princess :ohmy:

For it's time, the Maxi was a great car, and very forward thinking, hatchback, front wheel drive, 5 speed box, just a shame they carried on making it for too long, however, nothing good can be said about the Princess.

GilesM

Legendary Member
View attachment 467651 Back in the mid 1990s, I fancied a vauxhall Tigra but couldn’t afford one. They were a new car out, back then so even a used one was out of reach for me.

Bought one on Sunday. Worth the wait.

I don’t know, or care, whether or not they are in vogue. I can just get a bike (wheels off and stashed behind seat) in there. I love it.

Cool, enjoy, have you got a pic with bike stashed.

Top Bottom