Car help question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't follow, it didn't cost me anything other than £40 for the battery from the shop
The RAC guy is trying to put some cash in his pocket ..I guess

vickster

Legendary Member
I understood £156 to supply and fit. They do not sell the cheapest batteries. If the OP happened to have a new battery upon calling the RAC for the first time, I would assume, that as in my case (although a few years ago), they would fit it FOC :smile:

It cost me nothing for fitting - my recollection was that I could have got a jump start and gone to Kwik fit or similar, but the nice chap went with me to get the new battery from around the corner and then fitted it and went on his way with a cheery smile

BrynCP

Über Member
I was quoted a similar price for the fitting of a budget battery by RAC.

Bought one from Euro Car Parts for £40 with a 3 year warranty and fitted myself. First time I had ever held a car battery though and was shocked at the weight!

Euro Car Parts tend to have slightly different prices on each "channel": in shop, online shop and ebay. Check all 3 to see which is cheapest, and you may find voucher codes on line to save even more. I ended up click and collecting via ebay, which was £10 cheaper than click and collecting via their website, which was £10 cheaper than walking in!

D

Deleted member 1258

Had a new battery put in my old Hyundai this afternoon, done while I waited by Centurion Fast Fit, cost me £48 and didn't take long, car was starting OK but sometimes was hanging on the starter for a while before starting up, car feels noticeably better with the new battery in. £156 sounds an awful lot of money to fit a battery.

OP
OP
GarryG

GarryG

Just putting a cheap one as I am looking at changing it this year possibly for a ford galaxy/vw sharan/seat alhambra as they all are the same car with the same 1.9 tdi engine. Looking at the older ones as the seats come out as the newer ones just fold.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Euro's cheapest battery for your car is £53 and their dearest £153 with quite a few in between, which are the RAC fitting? Probably not the cheapest.

You get what you pay for, cheap ones are just that Cheap,, i bought the Cheapest for my last Volvo , and every time the temperature dropped below 0 Deg for more than a few days it just drained, i ended up paying for another one, so cheap is false economy.

screenman

Legendary Member
You get what you pay for, cheap ones are just that Cheap,, i bought the Cheapest for my last Volvo , and every time the temperature dropped below 0 Deg for more than a few days it just drained, i ended up paying for another one, so cheap is false economy.

Did you buy one witha 3 year warranty?

Levo-Lon

Guru
Cold weather kills old batteries.
ive had 3 on my Ducato since I bought it new in 06.
100ah jobs that weigh a bloody ton..and a good one costs about 80quid and lasts 3 yrs...

Sandra6

Veteran
You can have it tested free at Halfords, average cost of a battery is £60-70 and a tenner for fitting but you might get away with just a charger for half that.

Top Bottom