Car insurance renewal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
We all know the way it works, allow them to renew automatically and you willwittingly or unwittingly pay a premium for the pleasure / slothlessness / indifference.
Mines due next month...I only have what I think is a modest car, 2015 Astra SRI,not that powerful, mediocre but reliable and quite comfortable and cheap to buy.
Renew with Hastings...its going up around £100 to £633 for fully comp, no claims protected blah blah blah...jesus, I'm 61, yeah i did have a no fault claim a couple years ago, roadside parking, no convictions, it really ought to be cheaper than that for what I think is a relatively ow risk package.

Did the work tonight, Direct Line came through at a smidgen one £300....yay, less than half price.

Shop around, you know it makes sense, I'm now over £30 a month better off.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
My wife is with General Accident. Previous years was 230, did a new customer quote around renewal time which was 220 and then the renewal came through at 200. Worth a quote.

Reactions: gbb

vickster

Legendary Member
My wife is with General Accident. Previous years was 230, did a new customer quote around renewal time which was 220 and then the renewal came through at 200. Worth a quote.
Haven’t been GA for years surely? Became Aviva I think

vickster

Legendary Member
Direct Line will never get any money (back) from me after my personal injury claim. I expect they acted as others would but that doesn’t mean I have to (re)line their pockets

D

Deleted member 1258

I detest the annual renewal palava, but its worth doing, my Suzuki Swift is now only £30 a month, I've been chipping away at it over the last few years. When I brought my KA in 2012 I'd not owned a car for 30 years and got caned on the insurance because I had no checkable history.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Mine came up this week; renewed by checking around then phoning the insurance company, who matched the cheapest price I found without any checking.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have been warned by a family member with previous experience of working in an insurance office to be very careful about changing insurers. Due to my age few companies will even quote but she has had experience of people changing to another insurer and then after one year being told they are now too old and refuse to insure further and being left in the cold with no insurer willing to quote. I had been a named driver on my son’s car but when they changed to a cheaper policy the AA refused to accept me. I can still drive his car as my own current insurance covers me for RTA only but I only do this in emergency. It now cost me just over £1000 for a standard Peugeot Partner and no problem history. An automatic was even more expensive for some unknown reason.

Smudge

Veteran
The last few years i've been with quotemehappy for my car. They are the only insurance company i've had that i cant better their price elsewhere. They are always around £180/190 fc p/y and when i do a comparison that's always in the ballpark of the best prices elsewhere.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My renewal has come in a couple of squids a month extra, might just accept it. When they pop it up £100, which is 50% more is a laugh, so I'll stick this time. 50, with an old car, and even a 'mad' car would only cost me £400... hmmm retirement stoopid cars..... only advantage of not being a 'kid' anymore.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
My car is due for renewal early next month. Renewal price is £174. £30 more than the the next best price. That equates to only an extra couple of pounds a month. I have other more important problems at the moment, so I won't bother changing this year. However I will keep an eye on it next year if they put the price up by a lot.

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom