Car insurance woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Long story short.

We live by the bus stop. Recently a bus clipped our car which was parked in the street. Their insurance company nominated engineer came and inspected it in the street and said that it was easily repairable, that, given the age and (low) value they'd offer me £X for the damage, let me keep the car and bob's yer uncle.

When I informed my insurance company of the event they advised me that they would deal with everything, delivered a swanky hire car for the duration and whipped my car away on a transporter to be inspected.

They came back to me a few days later saying that - not just that the car is uneconomical to repair - but that it's a 'Category B' write off. The damage is a slight dent in the rear panel and a broken rear lens. A Cat B means that it can never be driven on the road again. Basically impossible to repair, scrap or breaking only.

I'm contesting the categorisation and an engineer from the company which did the inspection called me today to tell me that, yes, (informally) it's absolutely not a Cat B but that it's not within their power to undo it.

So now what? Through no fault of my own I'm left without a car, I'm not in a position to splash out on a new car right now and I have, apparently no way of changing the outcome. Next step is have a firm word with my insurance company. (I and my mum before me have been with them for nearly forty years without a single claim) and the what? The insurance Ombudsman? Unlikely to get me back on the road by Friday which is when the hire car goes back.

What a farking shambles. If I had the money I'd just go buy another shitter off my local forecourt where I got the last one.

Also the puppy needs an operation on its eyes. fark my life.

Drago

Legendary Member
Go and get your car back. If remains your car, your property, and no one can stop you doing so.

Take it to a local garage.

Get them to quote for a repair.

Send the quote to the bus company.

And when its renewal time find a other insurance company.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
If they have already advised the DVLA of the Cat B write off you may find it impossible to overturn and you may be unable to tax or insure it.
As Drago says claim the car back ASAP if it has not yet been processed.
If it has been processed, they may not be in a position to release it. If there is no structural damage then you should be fine.
I haven’t worked in car insurance claims for 19 years, but the low value write offs were always a problem because even the smallest prang will write the car off. And it is impossible to buy a replacement for the money offered.

This is CAT B definition.
Body shell should be crushed. Signifies extensive damage, although some parts are salvageable.

Should never re-appear on road, although reclaimed parts can be used in other road-going vehicles.

tom73

Guru
Like been said get it back it’s yours to do what you want with. You don’t have take what your told get it repaired and send the bill on.
When it time to renew walk with your feet. They rely on people never moving years of paying in means nothing anymore.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Can't really comment on the accident damage but being with the same company for many years means you get shafted. They treat it as a means to let you pay more. Best to change every year or two. If you called them saying you wanted to leave they'd immediately offer your a large discount. Loyalty to these people is a licence to make money.

Adam4868

Guru
Im not 100% sure but i know in the past i got a very low valuation for a vehicle right off.They go on age a lot but this was immaculate low milage ect.I paid for another independant surveyor who valued it a fair bit more,so maybe all is not lost...yet

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Ask your insurer who categorised it as a Cat B and what their qualifications are.

Are they an "Appropriately Qualified Person" (AQP) as required under ABI guidelines and are they a member of the Institute of Automotive Engineer Assessors (IAEA)?

If the inspecting Engineer has told you it's not a Cat B, your insurer should explain who has decided it is.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
When that idiot drove into the side of my car just before Christmas, I was told by a neighbour (who used to be an AA man) that if I put it through the insurance they would write the car off. It has a very low mileage (not even 18,000 yet) but the book price is only about £2,000. I can't get a car anywhere near as good as that one, so I bit the bullet and took it to a repair shop I have used in the past. I had to pay £550 (cash) but they did a great job on it. You would never know anything had happened.

Now I'll run it into the ground as its not worth trading in. I'll never get another car as good even if I add £3,000.

keithmac

Guru
If they have informed DVLA that it is a category B then you'll be pinging ANPR's plus you'd technically be uninsured to drive it.

Can't see how they've put a B on it if it's just uneconomical repair but they seem to want to write vehicles off it seems.

Maybe ring DVLA to see if it has a marker but that would be like pulling teeth I imagine.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
And how much will your insurance company be charging the bus company's insurance for the hire car, the transportion to the inspection facility and the cost of the write off plus their expenses compared to the cost of the simple repair the bus company originally offered to pay out?

No wonder insurance costs keep rising.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's a racket to keep insurance cos in business. They are all feeling the pinch as accident rates and thefts come down and consumers grow more savvy and prepared to swop.

D

Deleted member 26715

And how much will your insurance company be charging the bus company's insurance for the hire car, the transportion to the inspection facility and the cost of the write off plus their expenses compared to the cost of the simple repair the bus company originally offered to pay out?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is the whole reason I believe car insurance to be legalised theft.

At the OP, just advise the insurance company you don't accept their decision & return YOUR car back to you

Top Bottom