Car light issue.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Changed a brake light the other day, (nearside as you ask) just been told that my brake lights are stuck on.
A little bit of experimenting gave these results.

Sidelights or headlights on = brake lights stay on.

Sidelights and headlights off = normal brake light function...... However when I press the brake pedal the sidelights come on until I release the brake pedal.

Thoughts on the cause sought thanks.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Changed a brake light the other day, (nearside as you ask) just been told that my brake lights are stuck on.
A little bit of experimenting gave these results.

Sidelights or headlights on = brake lights stay on.

Sidelights and headlights off = normal brake light function...... However when I press the brake pedal the sidelights come on until I release the brake pedal.

Thoughts on the cause sought thanks.
When that happened to an old car of mine it was caused by a faulty fuse.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Just removed the rear light cluster. It is a squeeze to get out.
Might have accidentally disturbed something?? Like the earth as suggested above?

DRM

Guru
Dual filament offset pin bulb put in the wrong way round always played havoc with trailer circuits as it mixed up the earth paths or somesuch, might be the same on a car, though I'd hope a car light unit wouldn't allow the misfitting.
This, you need to remove the bulbs and turn them 180 degrees and put back in, if you look at the pins as mentioned above they’re offset, one is higher than the other to prevent putting them in the light cluster wrong, but it’s easily done.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
but it’s easily done.
No it isn't, just like the idiots who replace a headlamp bulb then drive around dazzling all incoming traffic until they fail the mot.
The offset pins mean the bulb is keyed to only fit in the correct orientation, unless you are particularly inept or ham fisted, in which case you somehow manage to force it to fit the wrong way!
OPs fault is almost certainly a bad earth connection after disturbing the light cluster.

gbb

Legendary Member
No it isn't, just like the idiots who replace a headlamp bulb then drive around dazzling all incoming traffic until they fail the mot.
The offset pins mean the bulb is keyed to only fit in the correct orientation, unless you are particularly inept or ham fisted, in which case you somehow manage to force it to fit the wrong way!
OPs fault is almost certainly a bad earth connection after disturbing the light cluster.
Have to agree, you'd have to probably damage something to put them in wrong.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Have to agree, you'd have to probably damage something to put them in wrong.
Plus there are two types of offset pins (and probably more?), the ones that are just at different depths and the type where the pins are not 180 degrees opposite to each other, now you would have to be really special to fit one of those wrong! :wacko:

Top Bottom