Car light issue.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
No it isn't, just like the idiots who replace a headlamp bulb then drive around dazzling all incoming traffic until they fail the mot.
The offset pins mean the bulb is keyed to only fit in the correct orientation, unless you are particularly inept or ham fisted, in which case you somehow manage to force it to fit the wrong way!
OPs fault is almost certainly a bad earth connection after disturbing the light cluster.
Funny how you see loads of cars with one sidelight on, the other showing a brake light, seeing as you claim it’s impossible, and the amount I’ve swapped round after having a new bulb fitted by the warehouse know it all.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Had a dodgy fog light fail on an MOT. The Kwik Fit experts were on it for hrs and gave up. Took it home and discovered it was actually a bad earth down at the towing socket !

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
In the cold light of day (I changed the bulb in the dark last night) it turns out I fitted a single filament bulb instead of a twin filament. Correction made this morning. Thanks for the replies though.

Masterof my own demise....

So the OP did fit an incorrect bulb.

What of all the bold and at times tetchy assertions doing so was impossible?

gbb

Legendary Member
Funny how you see loads of cars with one sidelight on, the other showing a brake light, seeing as you claim it’s impossible, and the amount I’ve swapped round after having a new bulb fitted by the warehouse know it all.
Just for balance, TBF, in my experience it would read...it is possible to see a car with one sidelight and one opposite brakelight illuminated, but despite seeing thousands of cars every week on the A1M, I don't recall seeing that combo. Im sure its possible...but I suppose if (some) people cut even fit...or be bothered to fit their own , perhaps even their judgement (as to who does fit them) needs questioning. Bad innit ?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
, I don't recall seeing that combo. Im sure its possible...but I suppose if (some) people cut even fit...or be bothered to fit their own , perhaps even their judgement (as to who does fit them) needs questioning. Bad innit
I got flamed on a car enthusiasts forum I frequent for suggesting that a person who considered if they should 'hammer in' some brake pads that were a tight fit in a caliper/disc combination should maybe step away from their tools and immediately seek professional help for their brake problem because they clearly demonstrated that they were not capable or competent by suggesting this! :eek:

Some people just do not have 'it' , where 'it' is an understanding of mechanical things and what is mechanically right/wrong. This is in no way a derogatory comment on their skills or abilities. Some people may be fantastic accountants, amazing computer programmers, life saving brain surgeons or the ultimately compassionate carer, but they just cannot be trusted to change a brakelight bulb in their car and should automatically send it to someone who can whenever that is required.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I will say that getting the wrong bulb out was a bit of a job and I broke it. I think there is a design to prevent it but I managed to overcome it in my poorly lit fumbling

What should prevent you fitting the wrong bulb is one has offset locator pins and the other has 'level' ones.

However, with some bulb holders I think it's possible to fit the wrong bulb, leaving it held in place (not very securely) with just one pin.

Doing that clearly means you are no master mechanic, but it doesn't make you a total duffer either.

To complicate matters, there's also a much less common single filament bulb which has a smaller glass bulb, but uses the same sized metal holder.

I used to do lots of bulb swaps in my days as a Saturday boy mechanic.

Jamming the wrong bulb in place and having to break it to remove it rings a bell.

Lots of tales from those days, including one customer who thought the engine oil filler was where the water went, so topped up his engine with water.

He drove the car to us where we drained a couple of gallons of emulsion.

The engine ran fine after we restored oil and water to their correct locations.

A sad postscript to that one.

The same customer - a retired army officer - rang us a few months later to say he'd parked his car somewhere but couldn't remember where.

Turned out he was suffering from progressively worse dementia, which probably played a part in the oil/water incident.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
What should prevent you fitting the wrong bulb is one has offset locator pins and the other has 'level' ones.

However, with some bulb holders I think it's possible to fit the wrong bulb, leaving it held in place (not very securely) with just one pin.

Doing that clearly means you are no master mechanic, but it doesn't make you a total duffer either.

To complicate matters, there's also a much less common single filament bulb which has a smaller glass bulb, but uses the same sized metal holder.

I used to do lots of bulb swaps in my days as a Saturday boy mechanic.

Jamming the wrong bulb in place and having to break it to remove it rings a bell.

Lots of tales from those days, including one customer who thought the engine oil filler was where the water went, so topped up his engine with water.

He drove the car to us where we drained a couple of gallons of emulsion.

The engine ran fine after we restored oil and water to their correct locations.

A sad postscript to that one.

The same customer - a retired army officer - rang us a few months later to say he'd parked his car somewhere but couldn't remember where.

Turned out he was suffering from progressively worse dementia, which probably played a part in the oil/water incident.
When I was at College one of he other apprentices recounted a tale of another youth who started at the same time as him being told to "Fill that engine up with oil" so he did, around 11 gallons it took :ohmy:

DRM

Guru
When I was at College one of he other apprentices recounted a tale of another youth who started at the same time as him being told to "Fill that engine up with oil" so he did, around 11 gallons it took :ohmy:
Someone did that to a Lada Estate that belonged to a company I worked at, it came back with smoke belching from the exhaust, like a huge blue cloud, the culprit never lived it down

Top Bottom