Car question - what`s the best small, cheapest car out there that will still carry a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is a genuine question, and a rant.

I`VE HAD IT WITH CARS:banghead::banghead:

I used to be interested in them years ago, and at the time I bought a Golf R32, very thirsty but very fun. I`ve still got that car cluttering up my garage.

Up until recently I had a battered Vauxhall Astra Diesel as a workhorse, and the fuel pump went, when I needed a car the most, and I had to scrap it as the pump was too expensive to replace. I then bought a petrol one which drank so much fuel that it nearly bankrupt me, I got rid. So, I decided to treat myself and lashed out 4 grand (my entire savings) on a smaller engined VW Golf which would have been ideal for my needs. I`ve had the thing 5 days and it`s been in the garage for 3 of them - it started to run rough and it now needs a total engine rebuild, to the tune of about £1500. I`m still in shock and haven`t eaten now since yesterday morning. I`m not going to go into the ins and outs of the sale, just say I`ve been shafted, totally.

So, both cars are for the high jump, all I can do is get "spares or repair" money for the new (er) one.

I`d like to go totally car free, it must feel so good, but am too far from civilization to realistically do that.

So, what`s good, cheap, and reliable? I`m wasting no more money on the bloody things, I`m sick to death of them. I`ll also get my garage back if I do this, and am already planning to turn it into a pain cave.

Had to get this off my chest guys sorry. Look forward to any suggestions though. Thanks

screenman

Legendary Member
Suzuki.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
A good second hand car is all down to how it has been driven and looked after by previous owners. All modern cars are good nowadays but if they have been thrashed, then running costs will be high and breakdowns very likely.

Drago

Legendary Member
With a limited budget its best not to try and be too clever. Stick to stuff that may not be sexy but which is cheap to buy, insure, tax and repair. Were talking Corsa, Fiesta, that sort of thing.

Avoid diesels. Even if do big mileages, which you don't, then cost of high pressure fuel pumps, DPFs, DMFs etc, can wipe out much or all of any saving made on fuel. Again, don't try an be too clever.

An example. After my Sportage enjoyed a glorious and unexpected Viking funeral last year I picked up a Ford Fusion for £700. Its one owner, and being a Fusion its bigger than the Fiesta upon which its based. Its petrol, 1.4, so reliable, simple, and still capable of 50 mpg on a run. Its one owner, and as old people bought Fusions new its always been garaged, has never been thrashed, and has a full history.

Its a pearl, but as wonderful as it is it wouldn't break my heart too much if it was hit by a meteorite and I had to replace it.

So...

Small(ish)

Mainstream brand and model.

Petrol engine, no bigger than 1.4

Don't be afraid of an auto. Small autos can be turgid and annoying, but a proper slush box is more robust than a manual (the main working, wear and tear part is only fluid) so it reduces your chances of buying a pup. They can be in demand too when you sell it on.

A slightly unusual model (Fusion, Meriva, Jazz etc) raises your chances of buying a car that's been cherished by a pensioner, but which is still based on a smaller, robust base car.

Shop about - there is an inexhaustable supply of cheap metal out there, so if you have even the slightest whisper of a doubt move on to the next.

Don't pay more than a grand.

Try and find one at a key age or mileage, like 10 years, 60/80 thousand miles etc. It will either gave just had a cambelt, or just be coming up due and you can use that as a money off ploy.

And DON'T TRY TO BE TOO CLEVER WITH A TINY BUDGET. The most important rule of all. Deliberately avoid anything sporty, complex, rare, sexy or large - it will sooner or later punish you in the wallet, which is what you're trying to avoid.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I
With a limited budget its best not to try and be too clever. Stick to stuff that may not be sexy but which is cheap to buy, insure, tax and repair. Were talking Corsa, Fiesta, that sort of thing.

Avoid diesels. Even if do big mileages, which you don't, then cost of high pressure fuel pumps, DPFs, DMFs etc, can wipe out much or all of any saving made on fuel. Again, don't try an be too clever.

An example. After my Sportage enjoyed a glorious and unexpected Viking funeral last year I picked up a Ford Fusion for £700. Its one owner, and being a Fusion its bigger than the Fiesta upon which its based. Its petrol, 1.4, so reliable, simple, and still capable of 50 mpg on a run. Its one owner, and as old people bought Fusions new its always been garaged, has never been thrashed, and has a full history.

Its a pearl, but as wonderful as it is it wouldn't break my heart too much if it was hit by a meteorite and I had to replace it.

So...

Small(ish)

Don't be afraid of an auto. Small autos can be turgid and annoying, but a proper slush box is more robust than a manual (the main working, wear and tear part is only fluid) so it reduces your chances of buying a pup. They can be in demand too when you sell it on.

A slightly unusual model (Fusion, Meriva, Jazz etc) raises your chances of buying a car that's been cherished by a pensioner, but which is still based on a smaller, robust base car.

Shop about - there is an inexhaustable supply of cheap metal out there, so if you have even the slightest whisper of a doubt move on to the next.

Try and find one at a key age or mileage, like 10 years, 60/80 thousand miles etc. It will either gave just had a cambelt, or just be coming up due and you can use that as a money off ploy.

And DON'T TRY TO BE TOO CLEVER WITH A TINY BUDGET. The most important rule of all. Deliberately avoid anything sporty, complex, rare, sexy or large - it will sooner or later punish you in the wallet, which is what you're trying to avoid.

Good luck.
Thanks Drago:okay:

gbb

Legendary Member
It's a lottery sadly, there are no guarantees buying a car for less than...say £5k. You could buy a gem..or a lemon.
I'd probably go Japanese, never had one but their reputation is good for reliability at least.
Did you get the petrol Astra saloon iateyoubutler ? I had a 2010 sportback 1.6 petrol 3 door, usually managed 50 mpg with care...i now have a 2015 1.6 petrol and I'd imagine it's terrible if you used it round town but extra urban or distance mileage I usually get 46 or 47...but I have to use it quite carefully to get that. But a 2015 SRI Astra with 12k on the clock...£8k, couldn't get anything near that price for that mileage and age. My 2010 never let me down and the 2015 has been good so far. I suppose the point is, if you accept theyre pretty mundne cars, but they can be cheap as chips to buy, modestly cheap to run..you could do worse. (Forgot to say, im talking about the older Astra as an option, perhaps one with low mileage, id imagine theyre pretty cheap. I could get my bike in the 3 door so a 5 door should be no problem)

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

So...

Small(ish)

Good luck.

my point exactly and DO NOT BUY FROM A FRIEND OR RELATIVE

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4994132, member: 9609"]nothing wrong with a diesel prior to euro5 and all the temperamental anti pollution rubbish. euro3/4 must be some of the most reliable economical engines ever made. But be warned some manufacturers were putting dpf's before they needed too.[/QUOTE]

You still get DMFs, high-pressure fuel pumps etc.

Clutch goes on a 10 year old petrol fiesta, maybe £300. Clutch goes on a 10 year old diesel Fezza with DMF, nearer £800 for a cheap pattern one.

Fuel pump goes on a 10 year old petrol fiesta, £30-£50. Fuel pump goes on a diesel Fiesta, £1000+, the cars a likely financial write off.

The DPF is the least of a used diesels worries, although that can be bad enough.

The OP is on a tight budget and wants the maximise the odds off success - in order to do that he mustn't try to be too clever. The golden rule.

D

Deleted member 26715

It's a lottery sadly, there are no guarantees buying a car for less than...say £5k. You could buy a gem..or a lemon.
Sorry have to disagree, paying more will not guarantee you from getting a dog, all that happens is you're more committed & deeper in the hole.

OP has been really unlucky or scammed badly to buy a bad VW they are normally very reliable, but if I was looking for a cheap runaround it would be Japanese, they do know how to build reliable cars.

Top Bottom