Car question - what`s the best small, cheapest car out there that will still carry a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
IDI diesels like the XUD from PSA are virtually extinct. Any the OP is likely to find is almost inevitably going to be high-pressure, common rail, direct injection. May as well talk about my old Allegro for all the relevance that has to our OPs situation.

And no, I'm comparing typical decent reputation independent prices, neither dealer at one end or Fred in a Shed at the other.

gbb

Legendary Member
Sorry have to disagree, paying more will not guarantee you from getting a dog, all that happens is you're more committed & deeper in the hole.

OP has been really unlucky or scammed badly to buy a bad VW they are normally very reliable, but if I was looking for a cheap runaround it would be Japanese, they do know how to build reliable cars.
Agree 're the Japanese, I suggested so myself. And in a sense you're right 're paying more being no guarantee...but....it does increase your chances of less problems (does that make sense) but agree again, if it does go wrong, you're deeper than ever.

DIL has recently got a Pug 207 1.4 I think, 2007 just over 50k miles...cost her less than £800...now that's a good buy...as long as it stays reliable.
It does make my £8k for a very nearly new car at the time look silly in some ways...and that's cheap for a nearly new car :whistle: But then, mines a lot better refined.....its a big conundrum. Not a car for OP though the boot is too small.

vickster

Legendary Member
Vauxhall Agila / Suzuki wagon R

My SIL has had an Agila for a few years, cost £750, costs v little to insure and tax and a few hundred a year in maintenance and does many mpg, it is only a 1l and is pretty underpowered. Small, easy to park. Cheap motoring, hers is used taking the dog to the park, going to the allotment etc. It stinks of hound and garden stuff, but owes her nothing. It is however metallic pink, I do laugh when. My brother drives it :biggrin:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Citroen C3 - you can get a low(ish) mileage Mk1 for silly money.
I ran a 1.4HDi 8v for 10 years / 162k and it cost me virtually nowt outside routine maintenance and consumable parts.

000.JPG
000a.JPG

Sexy, eh? Note that funky double glove box arrangement (the lower one is tiny though...) and the really poorly positioned interior door grab handles

I've had two bikes in the back with both wheels on and both front seats occupied (rear seats folded) - a very tight squeeze but just possible. Take the front wheels off the bikes and it's easy.

Petrol might be better for you if you're looking for maximum cheapness. Possibly avoid the underpowered 1.1, but the 1.4 is a reliable lump and adequate for most purposes, the 1.6 marginally quicker but thirstier.
The flappy paddle auto box seems to be universally hated in reviews, so manual might be the better option.

The early Mk2's (2010>) are starting to look like a real bargain too.

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
TOYOTA COROLLA!
I have a 2006 model with 1600 petrol engine. Utterly reliable and bike goes in the back with the rear seats down.
If I was selling mine (I'm NOT) I would be lucky to get about £1700 for it. What could I get to replace it at similar money? Not a lot, and that is why I am keeping it. 104k miles on the clock; I can leave it lying for weeks at a time, then jump into it and it will take me to Portsmouth (from Ayrshire) and back with no fuss, as was recently the case.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Pug 107 or Toyota Aygo.
900cc petrol gets stupid good mileage.

Will take a bike with wheels off.

Or the Citroen C1? ;)

OP
OP
I
Thanks for all the replies everybody, certainly food for thought when I have some money again, and have sold my 2 cars, well one car one unreliable rip off joke. Small, cheap, economical is all I`m prepared to entertain from now on. I`ll never touch VW again, bloody shame as I held them in such high regard, what do I get for my loyalty? THIS crap:banghead:

Sorry I`ve stooped back down to ranting again.............................and breathe

I appreciate all the input:smile:

D

Deleted member 1258

Another vote for Suzuki here, I've got a swift. Also Hyundai, I had an old getz 1.3, not the most economical motor, 35-40mpg, but it never let me down and I only got rid of it when the tin worm got in resulting in it failing its MOT spectacularly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom