Car question - what`s the best small, cheapest car out there that will still carry a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Con

Über Member
You still get DMFs, high-pressure fuel pumps etc.

Clutch goes on a 10 year old petrol fiesta, maybe £300. Clutch goes on a 10 year old diesel Fezza with DMF, nearer £800 for a cheap pattern one.

Fuel pump goes on a 10 year old petrol fiesta, £30-£50. Fuel pump goes on a diesel Fiesta, £1000+, the cars a likely financial write off.

The DPF is the least of a used diesels worries, although that can be bad enough.

The OP is on a tight budget and wants the maximise the odds off success - in order to do that he mustn't try to be too clever. The golden rule.
My old fabia 1.9tdi didn't have a dmf and only cost me £180 to get the clutch replaced and I've haven't had a fuel pump go on any of my cars and I run my cars to stupid mileage over 300k.

Last edited:

KneesUp

Guru
We always end up chasing our tails over Xmas so last November we bought a Fiesta for £500 as a second car, with the idea we'd flog it after 6 months. We still have it, it passed its MOT first time and it's never gone wrong. Will take a bike with a wheel off I reckon - I've never actually tried.

The most I can lose is £500 although that said it's getting on for new tyres time.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Sorry have to disagree, paying more will not guarantee you from getting a dog, all that happens is you're more committed & deeper in the hole.

OP has been really unlucky or scammed badly to buy a bad VW they are normally very reliable, but if I was looking for a cheap runaround it would be Japanese, they do know how to build reliable cars.

Yeah I know right. I don't understand this thing where (ok, refering to new cars here), but people say they spend 40k on a car so you expect it to be more reliable than a 20k car. Makes no sense at all.

Anyway, sorry, back on topic. I like dragos posts, absolutely spot on with everything.

D

Deleted member 1258

This. But if you're smart you'll buy it in Fiat Sedici form and save a bunch of money. 1.6 chain driven petrol, avoid the diesel. Genuine 4x4 capabilities with a diff lock. A very great deal of car for the cash, loved mine.

Which Suzuki are you talking about? I wasn't aware the Suzuki Swift, the one I've got, was available as a Fiat.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Which Suzuki are you talking about? I wasn't aware the Suzuki Swift, the one I've got, was available as a Fiat.
Sedici is a rebadged Suzuki SX4 not a Swift, good car though the latter is.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I
This. But if you're smart you'll buy it in Fiat Sedici form and save a bunch of money. 1.6 chain driven petrol, avoid the diesel. Genuine 4x4 capabilities with a diff lock. A very great deal of car for the cash, loved mine.
I`m very wary now of chain driven engines, that`s what`s happened to the car I`ve just bought. Done 40K and the chain (might as well say engine) is knackered, so much for lasting the life of the engine. Thanks to VW for this piss poor reliability................

Crankarm

Guru
I`m very wary now of chain driven engines, that`s what`s happened to the car I`ve just bought. Done 40K and the chain (might as well say engine) is knackered, so much for lasting the life of the engine. Thanks to VW for this piss poor reliability................

Why not use your R32 Golf? Better the devil you know.
I got a Pug 106 Zest 2 1.1, 30k miles, mint condition, £800 almost 3 years ago. Cheap to run and insure. It's still going strong. Can get a bike in the back if you are prepared to take the front wheel off. Don't ever buy a Fiat as they are CRAP. My last car was a Fiat and it dissolved before my eyes. The corrosion underneath was horrendous and the electrics worked part time, the headlights were dreadful. My bike lights were better.

Yes cars with timing chains are primitive. Belts are far better lighter and can spin faster and pretty durable that is why pretty much every car has a cam belt either toothed or ridged.
HTH.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm a huge fan of bangers, but try and get some proof of when the cam belt was last changed. If that goes, it'll give you a whole lot of grief in your wallet.

OP
OP
I
Why not use your R32 Golf? Better the devil you know.
I got a Pug 106 Zest 2 1.1, 30k miles, mint condition, £800 almost 3 years ago. Cheap to run and insure. It's still going strong. Can get a bike in the back if you are prepared to take the front wheel off. Don't ever buy a Fiat as they are CRAP. My last car was a Fiat and it dissolved before my eyes. The corrosion underneath was horrendous and the electrics worked part time, the headlights were dreadful. My bike lights were better.
HTH.
You`re not the first to ask that and I understand where you are coming from. Firstly, it`s way too nice (in my eyes) to let it get trashed by taking it shopping, to the tip, or to work etc etc etc, and at 18mpg, with a trailing wind:eek:, I would end up needing a second mortgage. It`s only ever been a dry weather, summer, weekend toy. I had a Pug 106 years ago, 1.4 diesel, ran on fresh air!

Top Bottom