Car rental with a bike rack

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by flan_1969, 9 Apr 2008.

1. flan_1969

flan_1969 New Member

Hi,

Could anybody advise me of the possibility of renting a car with bike racks of some nature in Provence/South of France?

My wife and I are flying to Marseille in eight weeks times and it had been my intention to hire a car with some additional extra for transporting bikes.

We will then drive to Vaucluse and spend a mixed week of cycling and driving. However, the webstes of the international firms do not offer cycle racks as extras and when I have tried to contact the local reps of car rental firms any responses have been that they do not provide such equipment.

I am starting to think this is not possible but I cannot imagine that people have not done this in the past?

Any help/advce would be greatly appreciated.

2. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

Having not owned a car for several years I rely on renting cars on the odd occasions that I need one. So far I have yet to find a company that offers bike racks, there maybe one out there but I haven't found it yet. I would go with User's advice and hire an estate car or a people carrier (and take some seats out). Come to think of it my wife cousin can get to bikes in the back of a VW Polo, take off the front wheel and keep them up right, luggage in between.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your holiday.

3. OP
    OP
    flan_1969

flan_1969 New Member

Thanks for the replies, and I think you are both correct. An estate car would be my best solution as I have had no luck at all with any hire firms willing to meet my cycle rack requests.

Thanks again.

4. Tim Bennet.

Tim Bennet. Entirely Average Member

We have a universal strap-on bike rack we use so we don't need to hire such a big car. We fly it out in its box as part of our luggage allowance. It allows four of us, plus our luggage and bikes to get in a Megane sized car.

But on other occaisions we have just gone with the estate car. Renault Legunas are huge - easily big enough to sleep in the back when waiting for Le Tour up at Alp d'Huez.

5. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

May be a bit late, but I have just found this lot who do hire bike carriers or racks. Not clear if you have to rent the bikes off the as well though...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice