Car Sat Nav attached to bicycle ... Good Idea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi guys,

Many of these Bike Computers (like the Garmin Edge models) just seem substantially overpriced. So i've come up with an idea - you decide if its a good idea or if i'm bonkers.

I want to buy a car sat nav which is quite small in size. Then somehow attach it to the handlebars, perhaps with zip ties?

If it rains, I'll put some kind of transparant plastic over it.

Any objections?

vickster

Legendary Member
How will you power it? Attach a car battery to the pannier rack?

Oh and it'll take you the shortest or fastest route, neither of which will typically be the best for a bike

Just get a second hand Garmin

Eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/garmin-edge-705/232921942158?hash=item363b3ac88e:g:haYAAOSwi1pblXRx

or a map...

Last edited:

stalagmike

Enormous member
Could use a usb battery pack to power it. Map case to keep it dry. Some sat navs have 'scenic' route options, or settings to avoid motorways etc. Having said that I'd still go for a cycling specific one if you can afford it though.

D

Deleted member 26715

Silly idea.
I don't think so, but it does depend on a few things how long the rides are, if they are all road rides & not MTB. But saying that a cheap phone with static Google maps might be a better option.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why can’t you just use your phone as a sat nav with a back up battery (assuming you have a smartphone)

Last edited:

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
For bike rides, my starting and end points tend to be the same, that would confuse a car satnav somewhat.

simonali

Guru
I thought one of the reasons bike navs are expensive is because the owner can download routes in the form of GPX files and follow them. Not sure you can do that with a car sat nav, you just put in the destination and it tells you where to go on the fly.

There's also the limited battery life, mounting issues and weather proofing on top. I'd suggest a cheap weather resistant smart phone instead...

winjim

Smash the cistern
You'll only get cross with it and wish you'd bought the proper thing. Then you'll somehow justify it to yourself to buy the proper one so you'll have spent twice as much. If the Edge series is too expensive how about something like the Etrex 20 for about 130 quid? It's not a dedicated bike computer but you can use it as one, with all the functions you'd expect. It's got full colour mapping and you can get a proper bike mount for it. You can also use it off the bike for walking and such. I've got one and so have a few other people on the forum I think.

PK99

Legendary Member
Hi guys,

Many of these Bike Computers (like the Garmin Edge models) just seem substantially overpriced. So i've come up with an idea - you decide if its a good idea or if i'm bonkers.

I want to buy a car sat nav which is quite small in size. Then somehow attach it to the handlebars, perhaps with zip ties?

If it rains, I'll put some kind of transparant plastic over it.

Any objections?

Garmins etc are designed for the job:
Robust & waterproof being key factors.
I've ridden the PruMonsoon ride and many other very wet rides with narry a problem.
I've come off and bounced my road bike along the tarmac a number of times and my MTB down a rocky slope a number of times with narry a problem. My kids frieds with iphones mosly have cracked screens from normal use.
I ride for 8 hours on one battery charge.
I plug in my gamin to my pc and download routes instantly ditto up loading rides.
I don't plug it in for weeks on end (charging from a a wall socket) when I do, my rides are all automatically uploaded.
etc etc

I think you are bonkers - buy the right tool for the job.
If you only want basic functions, buy an Edge touring model.

Using a car sat nav or a phone on your bars is like using a slot screw driver on a cross head screw. Sometimes it works - sometimes you are screwed.

Top Bottom