Car Sat Nav attached to bicycle ... Good Idea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I thought one of the reasons bike navs are expensive is because the owner can download routes in the form of GPX files and follow them.
You can put in way points but it's not as easy as uploading a file, Garmin's used to have the facility but they removed it on the newer version.

To me one downside of a Garmin, I have an Edge 800, is that the screen is that small I find navigating on the move impossible, but that might just be my eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:

k_green

Check CEX for used cycle satnav.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm not convinced it's totally bad, I'm actually looking into putting a sat nav onto a mobility scooter, just in case my aged father finds himself in a familiar unfamiliar place so at least he can hit the Go Home button.

That's not a bad idea for a specific intended use.
But there are so many more better alternatives for a bike.

I considered this several years ago and asked the very same question. These are the reasons why it is not a good idea.

Battery life. It has no battery at all. Once it is disconnected from power, it would not work. Therefore the idea of power pack is not solution.

It is not water proof and no amount of wrapping will save it.

Screen is not cycle friendly to read on sunlight and during rain.

You can not upload routes

It is actually not very cheap with compared to basic Garmin. I use Garmin Dakota 20 and more recently Garmin touring edge given to me by my son. I actually prefer Dakota 20 and you can buy a second hand one cheaper than car sat nav.

And finally we are cyclists. Anything made for a car is Devil's work.

OP
OP
T

topshopper19

I'm not convinced it's totally bad, I'm actually looking into putting a sat nav onto a mobility scooter, just in case my aged father finds himself in a familiar unfamiliar place so at least he can hit the Go Home button.
Thanks. A bit of creativity doesnt hurt anyone.

Top Bottom