Car Sat Nav attached to bicycle ... Good Idea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

topshopper19

Garmins etc are designed for the job:
Robust & waterproof being key factors.
I've ridden the PruMonsoon ride and many other very wet rides with narry a problem.
I've come off and bounced my road bike along the tarmac a number of times and my MTB down a rocky slope a number of times with narry a problem. My kids frieds with iphones mosly have cracked screens from normal use.
I ride for 8 hours on one battery charge.
I plug in my gamin to my pc and download routes instantly ditto up loading rides.
I don't plug it in for weeks on end (charging from a a wall socket) when I do, my rides are all automatically uploaded.
etc etc

I think you are bonkers - buy the right tool for the job.
If you only want basic functions, buy an Edge touring model.

Using a car sat nav or a phone on your bars is like using a slot screw driver on a cross head screw. Sometimes it works - sometimes you are screwed.
hahaaa....love your honesty mate. cheers

simonali

Guru
Battery life. It has no battery at all. Once it is disconnected from power, it would not work. Therefore the idea of power pack is not solution.

Really? How do you explain how this very old TomTom I just fished out of a drawer is powered up with no wires connected to it?

IMG_20180914_075321.jpg

gasinayr

Über Member
Garmin nuvi range can be set for 3 modes. Car, cycle and walk. They do a handlebar mount as an accessory. I have used mine on runs, the down side is they are not good in sunlight and the battery life is poor. Handy to keep in you bag and check if you get lost.

vickster

Legendary Member
Really? How do you explain how this very old TomTom I just fished out of a drawer is powered up with no wires connected to it?

View attachment 429928
Put it on your bike, go for a ride and see if it works ;)

Top Bottom