Car sold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I`ve got a Morrison`s and Lidl within about 5 mins walk, and I live in a market town with loads of little shops for anything else I might need, might be tricky if you were in the middle of nowhere...........

Not really. All the big supermarkets deliver now.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I do a bulk shop online and use panniers for the top-up shop - 1 mile from the village shops and 7 miles from the nearest supermarket.

I just sold mine too and kind of miss it, I don't commute but how do you cope with shopping?

You just have to go more often.. I used to go twice a week, the main on Fridays and a "stock up" on Tuesdays.. Now I go every other day! No big deal realy..
I wish I could go car-free full time, but unfortunatelly it's mandatory for my job.. :sad: I told them I can do my visits easily with my bike instead (as they all are quite local) and they told me I'm only allowed to use it from home to my first client and from the last client home but I'm not allowed to use it during my working hours.. Idiotic isn't? :blink:

speccy1

You just have to go more often.. I used to go twice a week, the main on Fridays and a "stock up" on Tuesdays.. Now I go every other day! No big deal realy..
I wish I could go car-free full time, but unfortunatelly it's mandatory for my job.. :sad: I told them I can do my visits easily with my bike instead (as they all are quite local) and they told me I'm only allowed to use it from home to my first client and from the last client home but I'm not allowed to use it during my working hours.. Idiotic isn't? :blink:
Sounds like they are making up the rules as they go along, have they given you a reason why??

Well, they did, but still doesn't make any sense to me!
They said that I'm allowed to commute, as that is completely my choice, but I'm not allowed to use bike during my "working hours" as any accident during that period of time it will be considered "industrial" and they will be reliable for compensation..
:huh:

Not really. All the big supermarkets deliver now.

That's absolutely fine for branded products.. But for vegetables, fruits and meat their choices are the poorest available in store!
Also there's no comparison in both quality and prices between (even the high end chains) supermarket and green grocers/butchers.. IMO always!

Oldspice

I just sold mine too and kind of miss it, I don't commute but how do you cope with shopping?

I have two bikes a hybrid with rack and a racer. The hybrid is used for shopping trips. As for shopping, i don't do big shops, i just top during the week. If i did a big shop it would be eaten or chucked before the week is through.

Oldspice

Well, they did, but still doesn't make any sense to me!
They said that I'm allowed to commute, as that is completely my choice, but I'm not allowed to use bike during my "working hours" as any accident during that period of time it will be considered "industrial" and they will be reliable for compensation..
:huh:

That can't be right? What would happen if you were in a car accident! I'm sure C.A.B would also disagree as it is not in your contract or job definition.

OP
OP
al78

al78

Guru

I get some of my food from the local farm shop or the farmers market a couple of miles away. As I live on my own I can get a weeks supply in a couple of panniers. Some food I have delivered through Abel and Cole and anything else I get from Tesco which is a 10 minute walk.

I intend to get a bike trailer at some point to deal with the occasional bulky stuff that is awkward or impractical to carry.

That can't be right? What would happen if you were in a car accident! I'm sure C.A.B would also disagree as it is not in your contract or job definition.

Actually it is in my job description. Also my car is insured as business vehicle in order to cover accidents during working hours. And the truth is that in order to sustain any injury from a car crash it has to be a serious one, which -as we all know- it's not always the case with bikes! Another thing that makes them very negative about it is the fact that I'm not getting sick/injury pay, unless for "industrial" accidents. For example (and the madness of the matter) if I trip and fall walking out of a clients house because there's a small step I din't see, if that is included in their Risk Assesement I don't get compensation or sick pay for the days I'm not able to work. If however it is not, then I get full pay and compensation, as they "exposed" me to a risk that they failed to identify! I understand it's very controlled enviroment as it is powered by NHS and that makes it all so much less flexible!! Hey ho! C' est la vie! ;)

PaulB

Legendary Member
I know a guy (well known so need his permission before I name him) who has, at present, 23 bikes which he tries to rotate to give them all a fair crack of the whip. He told me with some sadness that he also has a car as it is vital at certain times and he told me he'd driven it for 400 miles last year! Most people would be proud of that but he was embarrassed at having to admit he'd had to drive 400 miles but he'd cycled 8,500 miles.

I know a guy (well known so need his permission before I name him) who has, at present, 23 bikes which he tries to rotate to give them all a fair crack of the whip. He told me with some sadness that he also has a car as it is vital at certain times and he told me he'd driven it for 400 miles last year! Most people would be proud of that but he was embarrassed at having to admit he'd had to drive 400 miles but he'd cycled 8,500 miles.

:laugh: He's living a tragedy indeed! I can give him a hand with rotating his bikes though.. I've got a heart of gold I do!! :becool:

Top Bottom