Car suggestion thread - £30k to spend TODAY - Honda CR-V, Mitsubishi Outlander, Berlingo XL or Volvo V90 est?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Geofnay

Regular
Congrats on the win (and the choice of car). I ran a CR-V to 177,000 miles, having bought it at 49,000 miles as a 'stop-gap measure' after someone drove into my BMW (me in it) writing the BMW off and bu**ering my back. Had I seen this earlier (I only joined a short while ago) I would have suggested Skoda Karoq, Seat Ateca and all of that ilk but, having struggled to put a Honda Izy mower in the boot of my Seat yesterday (ta today's sciatica), the CR-V boot might v. well beat them, width-wise ...
(I sold the CR-V in Dec 2020 and got the Seat (1.5 DSG) - it has a lovely turbo engine, 7 gears and lots of bells and whistles).

Gunk

Guru
The Honda will keep going way beyond any VAG product, you made the right choice, just a shame about the colour :laugh:

Hicky

Guru
Good choice.

As somebody has already noted, Mitsubishi have pulled out of the UK/European market completely. So aftersales support in the future is an unknown quantity, irrespective of what they may say today!

Volvos are really nice cars with lovely interiors, but a mate is a Volvo mechanic and tells me they suffer from problems with the autobox. Very expensive to fix…

That’s down the Aisin-Warner box having “sealed for life” Monica tabbed to it where as all other manufacturers who use the box give a service schedule to the same unit and viola, very little issues.
How the heck can an oil based lubrication unit not have a shelf life for the oil…from an engineering perspective it’s illogical captain!

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
How are getting on with it?

After 7 months and 11,000 miles I can probably comment now, particularly as it sailed through the first MOT. Some thoughts:

It's very comfortable and smooth, although the petrol engine can be a bit noisy at times when pushing hard. Lots of interior space but very few storage areas/cubby holes: the Peugeot Tepee had them everywhere and I miss the storage. I also can't store bikes vertically which I miss being able to do. However, the upright driving position is great.

MPG-wise it's been lower than I expected from a hybrid. The Pug Tepee gets about 28mpg, my wife's Honda Jazz about 40mpg but I'm only getting about 34mpg. I do have two bike racks on the roof though and need to note the statement below, but tend to drive quite sedately most of the time.

It can shift, particularly if you hit the secret 'Mega Sport' setting :okay: which triggers electric motor, petrol engine, turbo and full battery power together. Not that I'd use that to show BMW's/Audi's/etc. that a large SUV can out-drag their lowered and pimped saloons :whistle:

There are lots of electronic warning items which seem to keep telling me I'm a terrible driver and about to have a horrendous collision. Maybe it's just Japanese over-caution but still ... I do like the self-driving stuff though; lane control, car following, cruise control, etc. which means it basically drives itself when needed.

One drawback is the size; it's a chunky thing and despite being slightly shorter than the Pug Tepee it replaced the width is un-nerving sometimes. In fact I'm thinking of getting a little 2-seater sports car for city journeys since the CRV struggles to get into parking spaces.

Oh, and since the ITV Starstruck programme's back on television for series 2 next month I'm guessing we'll see the video of me getting the Honda. I've not actually seen anything yet, but am guessing it's coming.

Last edited:
Top Bottom