Car tax disc to be axed after 93 years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

The trouble with cars is that driving is free.

It's only the filling-up process that's expensive.

If you had to put real folding money into a slot in the dash before the car would start every time, many people would think a lot harder about how much they needed to drive round the corner to the paper shop or ferry the kids half a mile to school.
That 'only' bit is the reason why i only do 2k PA in my car...it only does 15mpg and costs £2.50 for a 5 mile commute. If all people paid this then the miles would drop to essential only

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The trouble with cars is that driving is free.

It's only the filling-up process that's expensive.

If you had to put real folding money into a slot in the dash before the car would start every time, many people would think a lot harder about how much they needed to drive round the corner to the paper shop or ferry the kids half a mile to school.

Want to bet? They would still do it.

nikkiss

Regular
The tax disc to show motorists have paid vehicle excise duty is to be replaced with an electronic system, Chancellor George Osborne is to announce in his Autumn Statement.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25223631

I notice they manage to avoid calling it "road tax". In fact, there's a snippet from Hansard when vehicle tax was introduced in 1888 which shows how the principle behind the tax:

Chancellor George Goschen: Apart from the Carriage Tax, which is a tax mainly on the more luxurious carriages - carriages, used for pleasure - there is at present no tax on any other vehicles, however much they may destroy the roads.
We propose to put a duty of £1 a-year upon every vehicle exceeding 10 cwt. in weight, a very moderate limit to take.
Members will acknowledge that the principle that all those who use the roads should pay for them, and should pay in some proportion to the wear and tear that they cause, is just. But I have not yet exhausted the subject. We propose, also, to put a very small Wheel Tax upon every vehicle.

yeah with this electronic tax system nobody will be able to avoid the taxes unfortunately. like we don't pay already enough taxes

burntoutbanger

Veteran
G52cw9I.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
Car tax? Oh, I remember that.

yeah with this electronic tax system nobody will be able to avoid the taxes unfortunately. like we don't pay already enough taxes

When it comes to motoring we don't pay nearly enough taxes. The biggest non natural killer after suicide, and the biggest contributor of CO2 in the transport category, and users complain they pay too much tax? Erm...

Car tax? Oh, I remember that.

When it comes to motoring we don't pay nearly enough taxes. The biggest non natural killer after suicide, and the biggest contributor of CO2 in the transport category, and users complain they pay too much tax? Erm...

Everyone knows it's not car tax, it's road tax. So cyclists should pay it as well.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Everyone knows it's not car tax, it's road tax. So cyclists should pay it as well.
If you rode tacks you'd get a nasty puncture.

Drago

Legendary Member
That 'only' bit is the reason why i only do 2k PA in my car...it only does 15mpg and costs £2.50 for a 5 mile commute. If all people paid this then the miles would drop to essential only

Mine does over 70 to the gallon and I did barely 1500 miles last year, on course for 1200 this year. This because I like to practice what I preach about air pollution, whereas most people wail and gnash their teeth about climate change and health but still carry on driving because they are thoughtless and bone idle lazy. That being the case, you are right - price them off the roads if they won't do it because it's the sensible thing to do.

Top Bottom