Car tax disc to be axed after 93 years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sazzaa

What about the people who actually need a 4x4? I can think of a few cases with people I know who stay in pretty remote areas with no tarmac leading up to their doors...

Linford

What about the people who actually need a 4x4? I can think of a few cases with people I know who stay in pretty remote areas with no tarmac leading up to their doors...

The standard argument trotted out in the past was that 'they should be living and working in a city and then won't need one'

I do find it quite sad that whenever taxation on cars is discussed, the prejudiced few always draw 4x4's into the debate....

sazzaa

The standard argument trotted out in the past was that 'they should be living and working in a city and then won't need one'

I do find it quite sad that whenever taxation on cars is discussed, the prejudiced few always draw 4x4's into the debate....

Yeah those farmer types should stop making a living out of our countryside and just get a city job!

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
The solution to vehicle excise duty, car insurance and valid mot is so easy it is ridiculous.
When a vehicle owner has paid the ved, has valid car insurance and a valid mot they get issued with an electronic card. This card has to inserted into a reader on the petrol pump before it will dispense the fuel. No valid card - no fuel - no vehicle on the road.
There is an easier solution though - use a bicycle and you won't need fossil fuels, ved, mot or insurance!
A bit awkward for me to do all the time - my commute is 115 miles each way... call me a wimp if you like but I am not up to cycling that distance then doing a days work then cycling it home again!

Linford

The solution to vehicle excise duty, car insurance and valid mot is so easy it is ridiculous.
When a vehicle owner has paid the ved, has valid car insurance and a valid mot they get issued with an electronic card. This card has to inserted into a reader on the petrol pump before it will dispense the fuel. No valid card - no fuel - no vehicle on the road.
There is an easier solution though - use a bicycle and you won't need fossil fuels, ved, mot or insurance!
A bit awkward for me to do all the time - my commute is 115 miles each way... call me a wimp if you like but I am not up to cycling that distance then doing a days work then cycling it home again!

I take it you don't commute that distance every day ?

sazzaa

I kinda like that idea, but garages can't even get pay at the pump to work so I doubt that could get any other card system working...

115 miles is a bit ridiculous, not thought about moving/getting a job closer to home?

Linford

You would just get people filling jerry cans. The best solution is that the mot stations issue a disk for a test pass which fits the tax disk holder. The rest can be done through a central database

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

It is ridiculous, you're right. Uninsured driver with no mot or ved just has to borrow his mate's card. Fill 'er up!

GC

Linford

Invest billions into transport infrastructure in cities to the detriment of rural communities, and make private car ownership so expensive that only the very rich can afford to run them....that is a good way to promote social mobility among the classes....

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
I kinda like that idea, but garages can't even get pay at the pump to work so I doubt that could get any other card system working...

115 miles is a bit ridiculous, not thought about moving/getting a job closer to home?
I would get a job closer if I could but nothing doing at the moment. Recession has hit kind of hard in my industry. It is tough for the family and for me. My daughters hate it, and so do I as I am missing so much of them including the Christmas show this coming week.

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
It is ridiculous, you're right. Uninsured driver with no mot or ved just has to borrow his mate's card. Fill 'er up!

GC
That is a possibilty and I didn't say my solution was perfect. No doubt there are bugs that would need to be worked out.
Perhaps linked with the number plate recognition system that a lot of garages have already and a link with the system that the police use for checking on mots and insurance etc to make sure the vehicle that came in is the same as the registration number linked to the card. That may also include a feed back to the police so that if a car that isn't insured or whatever comes on to the forecourt they are notified so they stand a better chance of catching those drivers.
There has to be a way of working all this out and pulling it all together. I suppose with a bit more thought I might be able to start planning out a system - after all I am an engineer!

Amanda P

Legendary Member
The trouble with cars is that driving is free.

It's only the filling-up process that's expensive.

If you had to put real folding money into a slot in the dash before the car would start every time, many people would think a lot harder about how much they needed to drive round the corner to the paper shop or ferry the kids half a mile to school.

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
The trouble with cars is that driving is free.

It's only the filling-up process that's expensive.

If you had to put real folding money into a slot in the dash before the car would start every time, many people would think a lot harder about how much they needed to drive round the corner to the paper shop or ferry the kids half a mile to school.
Thats very true and something I keep on at my wife about. My daughters school is only 1/2 a mile away and when I was last on leave we walked it twice a day (with the dog). My wife just won't do that because there is a "main road" between us and the school (alright it is the road with the worst accident record in Essex) but even so it is only 1/2 a mile!

Top Bottom